Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Defining the decade

This might be tough, but I was thinking about what albums I would pick if I were asked by a younger person "What was metal and hard rock like in the 1980's?" If I had to pick just ten albums that I think gave a good basic overview of metal in the 1980's then here are the ones that I would select. That doesn't mean that this is in any way my top ten of the decade. I tried to pick a good variety of albums based on style and importance and I didn't allow myself to pick more than one album by a band.

Van Halen-1984
Metallica-Master of puppets
Guns and Roses-Appetite for destruction
Slayer-Reign in blood
Motorhead-Ace of spades
Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Judas Priest-Screaming for vengeance
Ozzy-Blizzard of Ozz
Def Leppard-Pyromania
Dio-Holy Diver

Anyone else want to have a go at it?

10 Comments:

Blogger On My Watch said...

I pretty much agree with you but instead of Motorhead and Slayer, I might've put Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil and Scorpions' Love At First Sting... but that's just me.

love this site - your thoughts are so interesting.

7:29 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I agree--and it's a great list--but OMW is correct, Crue should have one. This list underrepresents hair metal and the quasi-glam side, which was a big part of 80s metal, whether we liked it or not.

What a great 10-album list, though! Wow.

-- david

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I'm not a fan of some of those records, it is a good overview. Metal is just so expansive, it's always hard to pick just a few releases.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I thought about Motley Crue, but I just didn't feel right giving them the nod over Dio or Ozzy. Maybe I would really need to make the list 15 to have a better overview. If I had to do 15 then I would add these:
Motley Crue-Shout at the devil
Dokken-Tooth and Nail
Poison-Look what the cat dragged in
Scorpions-Love at first sting
Anthrax-Among the living

6:39 AM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

I never got into Slayer, but the rest of your list is pretty good; and I, too, would throw the Crue in there.

6:58 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

your choice of the 15 is perfect. it is hard to narrow it down! good job.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Pretty good list - I would add

AC-DC Back in Black
Metallica - . . . And Justic for All
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time

Later - Ben O.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to throw AC/DC Back in Black in there somewhere...but these are all great choices.

9:35 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I like your additions to round it to a top 15. But I also agree that AC/DC needs in there. I also think that Pantera, Poisen, and Megadeath need a shot. I would find it hard to narrow the list beyond a top twenty.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

Mark, this post inspired me to write about my "memories" of the 1980's rock scene in Los Angeles. Check it out, I think you'll at least smile.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home