Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thinking ahead

I must admit that I didn't think a lot about this blog while I was on vacation except during my runs in the morning. My knees are creaky and I run with the grace of a cow pulling it's feet out of the mud, but I have been running for over 17 years and I think a lot while I run. I mainly think about music and football. On my runs while I was on vacation I thought ahead about possible new ideas for what to write about on my blog and the Broncos' chances for the 2006 season. I said last week that when 2007 rolls around that I would do away with "Battle of the bands" and "It came form the pages of Hit Parader" so that I could try two new ideas. I have decided to do one called "Who where they?" where once a month I will profile an obscure or semi-obscure hard rock or metal band that was around some time between say the late 70's and the early 90's. The other idea will be called "Heavy Metal Jukebox" and once a month I throw out three song choices and you say which song you prefer and why. There will be some link between the three songs like same sub-genre of metal, all by the same artist or all from the same year. I am also considering having a contest like Theo at Metal-Mixtape recently did. I think that was a great idea because it's fun. The only problem is I don't have any great prizes. What I do have are some doubles of heavy metal buttons so that might be the prize. Might be cheesy to some of you I don't know, but a free prize is a free prize. So I am thinking of doing a contest some time soon and it will probably be something where you have do matching. That way all the answers are in front of you and you just have to put them together. Let me know what you think of these ideas and let me know if there is anything else you would like to see here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Sounds cool Mark. Really glad you had a relaxing time on your break. Your friends held the fort well whilst you were away.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Ohhhh contests!!! Although I'm not a big heavy metal guy I can never pass up a contest!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back. Your new features should be great. I like reading your thoughts (and all the comments) on metal since I'm not huge into it.

5:39 AM  
Blogger TT Quick said...

Good luck with the contesting, Mark. I'm formulating ideas for another one now.

Thanks for the additional link this time around!

7:18 AM  
Blogger TT Quick said...

Also loved the guest posters idea. It gave your blog a real community feel.

7:19 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I do love your new regular post idea. I'll vote against the contests, but I like the picking favorites thing.

-- david

9:02 AM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

I hope you had a nice vacation.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Ben-We had a good time.

Jeff-I am thinking about it. I just got around to adding your blog to my links.

Curare Z-Thanks. I am trying to stay on top of things.

Steve-A contest sounds good. I have been a Broncos fan since I was 7. That means I sat through four losing Super Bowls before finally seeing the back to back in 97-98. All the top contenders in the AFC have some real questions to answer this year.

Theo-You are welcome. I think it's great to support and learn from other bloggers. I know that I learn a lot about music, writing and just about people from writing this blog and reading and commenting on other blogs.

David-I like the Juekebox idea too because it will allow for lots of feedback.

Phoenix-I did, thanks. I need to get back into checking out your blog, I have not been there in a while.

****The two features I mentioned will start up in January of 2007. I think that I will put the contest idea on the backburner for now. Since Theo is planning another one soon and Steve will be doing one, I don't want to flood the market so to say. Maybe I will do one later. I do have my major year end project which I am starting on now. I will have a post telling what that's all about very soon. My review of Motorhead's Orgasmatron will be out on Friday I hope.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home