Friday, September 15, 2006

High Fidelity, 2000

The plot
Record store owner Rob (Cusack) talks about his top five break up lists (and other lists) even though he still in a relationship.

The cast
John Cusack, Iben Hjlele, Todd Louiso, Jack Black

The good
The record store if really cool, this reminds a lot of three different record (mainly vinyl) stores that I went to in the 1980's (only one of the three still exists today). John Cusack is very good and Black and Louiso are strong as his employees. I think it manages to be clever overall with Cusack's obsession with top five lists and speaking to the camera.

The bad/complaints
It's low on plot and although it has some clever dialog there are still some wholes here and there where people are talking, but it's not really building towards anything. I know it's not a total comedy, but I found much of the parts about the relationship between Rob and Laura to just be kind of muddled at times.



3.75 out of 5

Final Word
Okay, you can set much of the film in a record store, have a male lead and initially talk bad about relationships yet you can't fool me because it's still a romantic comedy. Not normally my thing so it's going to have to be strong somewhere for me to like it. I think Cusack's performance and the list thing are enough for me to be interested. It loses me a little at times with the relationship as it just has a real uneven feel to it. Now I must add that I have only seen this film once so I may look it more were I to see it again and I do want to see it again at some point.



***On Saturday the Rock Movies week will wrap up with a topic about a certain director who made two music related films and could have made a third.

7 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

This was quirky, but it didn't really capture me. I haven't even watched the whole thing.

-- david

3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked this movie because it was one of the few romantic comedies that had something for me in it.

When I watched this with my wife, there is a part where one of the characters says that Evil Dead 2 is the greatest movie of all time. I just looked over at my wife and smiled since it's one of those movies that she doesn't like that I love.

5:23 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I liked this one, but I like pretty much anything that Cusack is in.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I also liked the movie. Jack Black is funny as hell, and I think Cusack is a very good actor.

Ben - Good quote.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, I just finished watching this movie...Hmmm. I liked it but I kept wanting to feel something I never felt. But I love John Cusak and Jack Black and I LOVED the record store! Plus it was fun to see some other actors/actresses I recognized in it.

Good reviews! Loved your rock movie week!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Jack Black and Johjn Cusack and I loved this movie!

Great performances, I love the geeky guy who works in the shop, he's just like a mate of mine, always wanting to do yuo tapes of bands you've never heard of or don't care about!

3:44 AM  
Blogger José Carlos Santos said...

people who know me compare me to a mix between rob and barry.

i'm still deciding if that's a good or a bad thing. :)

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home