Thursday, February 01, 2007

Montrose, 1973

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Guitarist Ronnie Montrose has done a number of albums over the years, but this is the one that everyone should really know him for. Montrose had already played with Van Morrison and Edgar Winter before forming his own band. He brought in Bill Church (Bass), Denny Carmassi (Drums) and a young singer named Sammy Hagar to fill out the line-up. The band just takes off and plows straight forward. They don't exactly sound like anyone, but in some ways I think of them in the same ways that I think of Thin Lizzy. In that they are no frills, solid hard rock and they are a bit like the missing links between early 70's stuff like Sabbath, Zeppelin and Purple and the late 70's stuff like Van Halen. This is just solid, very pure hard rock and holds up very well even today. Tracks like "Rock the nation", "Space Station #5" and "Bad Motor Scooter" are all prime examples of just how good these guys were at this point. This album is a must listen for any hard rock/metal fan. It must also be noted then that this is maybe one of the best debuts of the 70's. Unlike many other debuts, these guys were tight from the get go.This is oftentimes looked at as an important hard rock album as well as an important album for guitarists. I agree with that take because Ronnie Montrose has a style that is somewhat unique at the time as his playing very sharp and distinct. Ted Templeman of Van Halen fame does the production and it's a marvelous job too. Sammy Hagar would return to do another Montrose album called "Paper Money" in 1974 before leaving the band. Montrose the band would do a few more album in the mid 70's before Montrose the guitarist went on to do various other projects. However none of his albums has garnered the reputation of this one and rightfully so. I first heard this album back around 1986. It seemed like when Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen that his back catalog got more of a push. Anyways, it's just as exciting to me now as it was then and I still listen to it fairly often. It's also probably my favorite album that Sammy Hagar has sang on.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

That was great to see this pop up. Wonderful rock album with a little bit of influence on the eighties hard rock stuff. I agree it's one of Sammy's best performances. Awesome album.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew them that well. I only found out about Sammy Hagar when he joined Van Halen. Although my brother and his best bud liked Montrose I never actually heard any of their albums.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learn so much here....thank you;)
I like the hunk on the album cover(sorry I am such a girl)

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked 5150. Most people like Van Halen with David Lee Roth but I thought they were just as good with Sammy Hagar. I've never heard Montrose either.

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of those albums I've always meant to grab but never have. I think I'll make the investment. I agree with Captain Corky, Van Hagar is much maligned, but they did make some great albums together, especially 5150 and OU812.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Ray-I agree that this album probably had more influence than many people know.

Andre-I first heard Sammy Hagar when his VOA album came out. Sammy Hagar was very active prior to Van Halen.

etain-Unlike the music, the cover really does date itself.

Captain Corky and ray gillen-I certainly prefer Van Halen with Diamond Dave. However I would bet that it is fairly even as which singer fans prefer. In fact I saw a poll done by KNAC maybe three years ago. I think it had Dave as just a few percentage points ahead
Sammy as to who fans prefered.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't this the disc that Rock Candy is on? I love that song. I think its been covered about a thousand times now.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

hard rock hideout- This is the disc with Rock candy on it. Iron Maiden covered Space Station #5 and I think that Lita Ford covered Bad Motor Scooter.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admit that I'm one of those that have only heard of Montrose after Hagar joined Van Halen. I'm not big fan of either, though Sammy Hagar visited Iqaluit recently(!) and I have found myself listening to "Rock Candy" quite a bit since then.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie and Sammy were very good together. Too bad they only did 2 albums.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home