Saturday, December 01, 2007

Number ten

The countdown of the top ten hard rock/metal albums of 1987 starts today. Number ten is.....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Zoetrope- A life of crime


Chicago's Zoetrope (pronounced e-trope) played a style of metal that contained thrash, speed and just plain solid metal. They had a fairly original sound and a lot of fire as they sounded even better here than on their 1985 debut Amnesty which also occupied the number ten spot when I did the 1985 list two years ago. They had a killer sound, but never quite got their due. This was a tough spot to decide on, but they edged out some good bands to squeeze into the top ten.



Number nine will be posted on Sunday and the hint is that it's a concept album.

6 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

This was a good album. It had a lot of crossover appeal too, because I liked it back in high school when you first lent it to me.

9:51 PM  
Blogger The Dragon of M87 said...

A good album. Unfortunately, the band's energetic live performance (I saw them numerous times in opening slots while growing up in the Chicago area) didn't translate very well to vinyl.

9:11 AM  
Blogger The Dragon of M87 said...

RIP Barry Stern.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Bob-Yeah, I know they wore hardcore buttons and shirts as well as wearing metal band shirts so they were into both types of bands.

dschalek-They were very a good band that just didn't get their due. I think the style was different from what most typical thrash fans were into.

No guesses at number nine? I thought the hint made it pretty easy.

2:39 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

A surprise! I didn't think you'd place this as high as the debut ... but that's why this is so much fun for your readers!

-- david

4:23 PM  
Blogger Rhodeislandrock said...

Haven't listened to Zoetrope in a long while. I remember my buddy in high school wearing out my tape while he was skateboarding! Another album to revisit this week.

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home