Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Man Raze-Surreal

Photobucket
VH-1 Classics
2008

A number of years ago the pairing of Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collen (also doing vocals here) and Sex Pistols drummer Paul Cook probably would have seemed unlikely or even unbelievable to fans of either band. However it seems that once band members get to a certain age or a certain amount of years past their prime that any pairing or partnership is possible. Okay, so I am not sure my expectations were high and I really expected the bulk of the album to lean more towards Collen’s background. Bassist Simon Laffy (formerly of glam band Girl) rounds the trio and I give them credit for keeping the overall production below the grain and not letting the overall sound be too smooth. Right away that helps a little and the opening track “This is” had me thinking that this project could be a real deal. However reality began to set a few tracks later and I just began hear too many tracks sounded like Def Leftovers. Okay, they didn’t have the exact same over processed sound, but it was still a lot of the same rhythms and the standard format that Collen and other band relied on between the late 80’s and the early 90’s. The rhythm section is a little more prominent here and they reasonably solid enough yet fairly standard at times. In theory I applaud any musician trying to do something different, but all too often they can’t or don’t want to get away from what they are comfortable with. I think that’s unfortunately what we get here on a number of tracks. There are a few highlights are probably going to have some fans thinking it’s for real, but I think the mediocre tracks are almost as plentiful as the real rockers on this release. Perhaps it’s a little more down to earth and a little less of the mindless party rock that Def Leppard churned out in spades at one point, but ultimately they play it a little too safe and the ending results are that it’s just an alright album.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I agree with a lot of what you say here. I reviewed it too.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

I liked this a little more than you and Bob did.

I like the numbers that have a little more punk vibe, and I thought the Reggae flavored tune was kind of cool too. I actually liked this one a little more than the new Def Leppard album.

Its a solid disc, but nothing mind blowing.

Rob Rockitt
Hard Rock Hideout

12:23 PM  
Blogger Rhodeislandrock said...

I posted a review too.....

http://hardrockheavymetal.wordpress.com/2008/06/05/man-raze-surreal-2008/

I didn't expect too much when it the album was announced and I haven't found much that I like with repeated listens. There are a few songs I like but they had to grow on me, 'Skin Crawl' is the best song on the record and the Police vibe on a couple of the Reggae-ish tunes is interesting.

Too many of the songs sound like Def Leppard demos than actual songs.

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home