Saturday, July 05, 2008

Interview with Issa Koberstein

Photobucket
Guitarist/vocalist Issa Koberstein has a fairly new band called ISSA. I recently got to interview him to find out more.


MM-Tell us a little about the history of your band?


Issa-This is a band I formed after my trip to Arkansas in Jan. of this year where I recorded with some Grammy winning musicians John LeCompt and Rocky Gray of Evanescence,
and Phil Taylor of Future Leaders of the world. I had a clear idea of what I wanted for this band and who to get for the project, so I asked them and off we go. We are a heavy melodic metal band and we are all convinced that this is the project we have all been working for our whole lives. It's magic when we work together! We are a four piece band. I play Lead Guitar and vocals, Jayson Breeton on bass, Kevin Wayne lead vocals, and Alvin O'neal on drums. We do a lot of vocal harmonizing along with very dynamic songs and try to be as professional as possible at all times. We are all very serious hardworking musicians who also know how to keep it fun, we love it!


MM-What were some of the first albums you really got into?


Issa-Some of the first bands I got into were Pink Floyd The Wall & Dark Side of the moon ", Jimi Hendrix Experienced, all of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Black Sabbath Masters of Reality and Paranoid, All the Led Zeppelin's albums and many more. I later ventured into more heavy things like Metallica Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets and Kill Em All, Megadeth all albums, Testament, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Alice in Chains (all) and Pantera. I am still heavily influenced by all of them.


MM-You recently got to travel to Arkansas and record with John LeCompt and Rocky Gray (former members of Evanescence) and Phil Taylor from F.L.O.W..
How did this opportunity come about and what was the experience like?
Was everything written before you went there or did you go there and figure things out?


Issa-Yes! this trip to Arkansas was one of the most inspiring things I have ever done, I am very greatful! It all started when a band called Machina came through town and played at the Samurai Duck here in Eugene. I had heard that some of the band members were from Evanescence ( John LeCompt and Rocky Gray) and Future Leaders of the world ( Phil Taylor )I got a chance to meet them. I loved their music and was very inspired by their professionalism.
Anyway, a couple months went by and then I contacted them about an add the had posted for collaboration and recording. I was stoked when they said fly on out to Arkansas and record some of my original songs and collaborate on a song together. I knew that John LeCompt and Rocky Gray were both Grammy winners so Needles to say, I flew out and Stayed for a week at John LeCompt's house where he and his family made me feel right at home. we worked around the clock on these four songs starting the very day I got there. "Triton", "Reign", "Smokey Belly", "Dogwind".
Reign is the song we all collaborated on, and Triton, Smokey belly, and Dogwind are my originals that I brought with me. Triton is a song I wrote on the acoustic guitar abouy 4 years ago. Smokey Belly I wrote most of it a few years ago but finished it in Arkansas, I actually wrote the lyrics for it with the help of Phil Taylor at John's house.. Dogwind is a song me and my friend Bob Kessler wrote together a few years ago.
The whole time I was down there it felt like a dream, it was pure magic working with these guys! they inspired me so much and what made it evan more surreal is that they said I inspired them!
It was great being so close to where I grew up too witch is in Summertown Tennessee.


MM-Your current project just started early this year I believe. How did this come about? How did you find the other bands members?

Issa-Yes, I formed this band within 2 weeks of getting back from Arkansas.
I knew I had a Rare opportunity being on this EP, so this was the perfect time to finally get this original project off the ground. While I was down there I already had an idea of who I was going to ask to join the band, they are all people i have worked with in the past.
They are all dedicated and seasoned musicians.

Photobucket


MM-How is your current band different from other projects you have been in before?

Issa-This current band is very different from my other bands because we focus on original material where as some of the other bands did alot of cover tunes. It is also heavier than the others and we pay more attention to detail. I have a very diverse taste for music, I have been in Blues bands, Reggae bands, jam bands, metal bands,. I love music! if it's good it's good.
I was a guitar player for hire for quite awhile also, and I still Play with a blues band Eagle Park Slim.



MM-What is the music scene like in Eugene, Oregon? Are there any great unsigned bands that we should know about?


Issa-Well, the music scene here is great for the most part. I think it is a great place to get started and there are alot of good bands coming through here. Well, we are unsigned! He He
I think 2 leg lucy is a great unsigned band and Grynch.



MM-Have you played may shows outside of Oregon?
What are some of the more memorable shows that you have played?

Issa-Yes, I have played many shows outside of Oregon. Let's see, last year alone I Traveled to New york city and played all over Manhatten. The most memorable show we played there was a place called S.O.B's. As soon as I got back from that 2 week tour I went down to Berkeley
and played .. the most memorable show there was the Ashkenaz. I have also played all up and down the west coast circuit. I played Main stage Oregon Country fair last year. That was a blast!
There were thousands watching. I think all of my shows have been memorable in one way or another.


Photobucket


MM-What do you hope to accomplish in the second half of 2008?

Issa-I hope to play as many shows as possible this year to get ourselves out there more and in the meantime we are working on our first album witch we hope to finish by the end of the year. I will be recording with the Arkansas guys again also. I am also pursuing other ways of getting this EP with the Arkansas boys out to as many places as possible. Actually I was recently contacted by Versailles Records in regards to using Reign and Smokey belly on a Stone Temple Pilots sampler album that will go out with their new LP. I am looking forward to that! For the rest of the year I want to just keep it real and keep it positive and most of all Play great raw live music that hits you right in the soul!



MM-What are some of your songs about? Where do you get the topics for your songs?

Issa-Well, "Triton" is a song about A relationship I had, not an orignal topic I know but I truely wrote this song from pure emotion. when her and I parted I sat down and wrote this song on my acoustic guitar. "Reign" is a song about many people in this world who feel we are all sheep
being counted for the feast, and the powers that be who herds us all.
I think everyone can relate to a certain degree. Phil Taylor and I wrote these lyrics in Arkansas during my trip there. "Smokey belly" is a song about those who let anything get in the way of there dreams whether it be drugs or just lazyness. Its not about drugs or anything it is about the one who doesnt realize the power they have over any addiction that hinders ones ambition.
"Dogwind" is about weather control and the New Orleans tragedy. Bob Kessler wrote these lyrics in a creative way that realy makes the song tell a story.


MM-What other interests do you have outside of music?

Issa-I am also a glass blower, I make guitar slides and gallery work. I have been doing that for a living for the last 11 years. Taking care of my dog Geezer (named after Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath) is another very important interest of mine.

MM-If you could only listen to three albums over the next month then what would you choose and why?

Issa-It would be Alice in Chains unplugged to keep my vocals in check.
Randy Rhoads Tribute album to keep my Guitar lics in check and
Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldnt Stand the Weather to keep my soul in check.


MM-Is there anything else you would like to say about your self or your band?

Issa-I just want to say that I am very thankful for everything that has happened for me musically and otherwise. I can truly say I am doing what I love the most. I feel that this band will go far, with our extremely dynamic set list, I think we have something original to offer.
Although we are extremely motivated and passionate about what we do, we will approach this next level humbly. (:


Thanks again for the interview Mark!

http://www.myspace.com/kobertunes

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home