Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ana Kefr-The Burial Tree (II)

Muse Sick Records 2011



One of the worst things about reviewing music is that if you proclaim every album that comes across your desk as good people will start to doubt your listening ability. The fact is most promos I get these days are usually good. It's hard to find record labels that would invest good money in bands with little to no talent. Unless you've sold your soul to the devil to mass produce corporate garbage like Creed and Staind you look for quality bands to work with and develop. Every now and then a band comes along though who are so far ahead of the curb that when I listen to their music it destroys my meager understanding of what "good" music is. Ana Kefr is one of those bands. The Burial Tree (ll) is a complex mix of death metal, prog. rock and classic rock. At times it frightens with it's brutality before it swallows you whole with its beauty. Unafraid to take the road less traveled these California natives paint with all the colors at their disposal. They spill their own blood to craft a masterpiece of extreme metal. Never content to leave well enough alone the band easily shifts from insane death bursts to AOR guitar solos without taking a breath. Socially conscious the band screams for human rights while rallying against mankind's dependence on religion. Philosophy in metal isn't a new beast. Ana Kefr though (who's name means "I am infidel" in Arabic) are what I'd imagine a progressive death metal band fronted by Sigmund Freud (on acid) would end up like. Lyrical this is as rich and deeply fascinating as the music is. Featuring instruments not normal found in your standard death metal group (clarinet and saxophone) Ana Kefr have created a new standard in the field of experimental music. This is the soundtrack for the end times and the music has never sounded sweeter.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Rhiis D. Lopez said...

Thank you so much for everything you wrote. I really appreciate it, and will make sure you get a physical copy as soon as they come in. THANK YOU!!!!

-Rhiis
Ana Kefr

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark Tremonti is one of the most dedicated musicians I have ever spoken with. His dedication to family, songwriting, Creed and Alter Bridge has made me admire him beyond what words can express. If anything, Mark Tremonti and his band mates are extremely underrated. I feel Mark Tremonti is a world class guitarist, he is that good.

"Corporate garbage" are the bubble gum bands the Disney Channel is pushing upon our younger generation.

- Stone

5:20 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Sorry but bands like Creed make me shutter. Yes, Disney pumps out music for young kids and they make no apology about it. It is what it is. But to pretend that Creed is anything but light weight metal aimed at women is laughable. It's like I'm listening to Nelsen all over again. And considering the diva attitude of Creed's frontman...well, don't get me started.

3:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The music of Creed and their lyrics got me through a very tough time when my sister passed away at age 42.

Music is a personal choice and we all have our opinions. "Connecting" to a band regardless of what gender makes up most of their fans doesn't matter to me. Nelson are great guys, I've met them and their new album smokes.

- Stone

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to steer away from what this post is really about, Ana Kefr is one tremendous band. Excellent review which gives insight to what this album offers.

You are right... it's strange to like everything that comes out. It's clearly a fantastic time right now in the world of Metal and it does seem like only the "cream of the crop" is being pushed out by labels and PR folks.

As we know though... the bottom of the barrel is always churning and lurking about... I tend to not give them much attention, not reviewing a lousy album is the best review for it! IMO.

- Stone

8:55 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Well, Slayer and Metallica got me through some rough times so we will call it even. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine just happens to be that bands like Creed/Staind are pure crap. Nelson was/is pure crap. I am sorry if this bothers you....wait, actually no I'm not. Sorry but to my ears it is garbage. If you want to listen to Nelson and "rock out" more power to you. Just don't expect me to lead your "Creed are the New Beatles" parade. Their music is hollow to me...

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jahsun said...

congrats, rhiis!!!

jahsun ~

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Ana Kefr..are what I'd imagine a progressive death metal band fronted by Sigmund Freud (on acid) would end up like." That's rhiis for ya!
-Kim

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home