Saturday, February 18, 2006

Spinal Tap in real life

It's time to wrap up movie week and what better way to do it then to talk about it the best hard rock/metal movie of all time? That of course is Spinal Tap and anyone who has seen it probably has done some speculation on whether or not the events are about anyone specifically or not. There are all kinds of rumors and guesses as many people think Saxon were an influence as some people connected to the film supposedly followed them on tour before the film was made. That would explain some of the macho stuff because Saxon were definitely that way in the early 80's. Another guess is that Status Quo were a big influence due to the band's long history, line-up changes and the band may have been forgotten in the states even though they still had somewhat of a following in the UK. Uriah Heep were another one that has been mentioned probably due to the line-up changes and there was a story about them playing at an Air Force base.
Then there are specific events in the film. Stonehenge is most often connected to Black Sabbath who had the opposite prop problems from Spinal Tap. In 1983 they had a prop of Stonehenge that was too big to fit in some venues. Steven Tyler told the story that he went to see This is Spinal Tap and loved it until he saw the Stonehenge part. He thought it was a poke at Aerosmith because they had Stonehenge on the cover of 'Rock in a hard' place in 1982.
Paul Stanley thought the part where Tap can't find the stage in Cleveland came from something that happened to Kiss. Apparently in their early days they played a venue that was part of an old high school. The dressing room was not on the same floor as the stage and Kiss had trouble finding the stage area.

So feel free to share your stories, views and opinions on who Tap was based on

This concludes movie week so now I will be back doing reviews and various rants and views on hard rock and metal. I may do a theme week maybe once every other month.
I have considered doing a second movie week perhaps later in the year. So far I am considering doing:
The song remains the same
Wayne's World 2
Detroit Rock City (I have not seen this one yet)
Let me know if you of any others that are out dvd. I wanted to do Kiss meets the phantom of the park, but it's not out on dvd and I no longer have it on vhs.

9 Comments:

Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Make sure and watch 'Detroit Rock City'. Either thank me or curse me later. I loved it but then I am a Kiss Army Nutcase.

5:32 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I forgot to mention. Spinal Tap is one of the funniest movies about the rock scene. It is a conglomeration of all the excesses of all bands.

5:34 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Several other bands have claimed to be the source for Tap. I know Ozzy was quite vocal about the experiences all happening to him, and I can almost believe it.

I'll take the long shot and say it was based on the life and loves of Neil Diamond.

I suggest you review Almost Famous. Music fans who I know have wildly divergent views of this one.

Thanks for the good week!

-- david

4:47 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

fuzzbox-I used to be a huge Kiss fan until like ten years ago. The constant reunion tours and slapping their logo on anythingthey could sell has turned me off. Although I still love the first six studio albums and a few others.

Ben- Spinal Tap is just so well made overall and there was real attention given to even the smallest details.

David-I have not seen Almost Famous, I will try to see it.
Some of it could have been about Ozzy. Then again Ozzy could have been zonked when he saw this movie and gotten it confused with his own life. Wouldn't be the first time that he has been very confused.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I went to Wal-mart this morning and saw Almost Famous there for $7.50 so I picked it up. I have some other bargain bin rock music movies that I could review if I get desperate. One is Empire records which has one character who likes heavy music plus a relative of a hard rock musician (Liv Tyler) and a cameo by Gwar. There is also Phantom of the paradise which is a 1970's glam version of Phantom of the opera.

11:18 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I hear a lot of lesser bands claim they were inspirations ... and I always laugh. I doubt Christopher Guest and the others were big fans of Angel Witch, Kix, or early Dokken. Just a guess.

-- david

1:09 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David- That's funny as the more known bands like Aerosmith, Kiss and Iron Maiden cringe at the thought of being an inspiration. Yet lesser known bands are just hoping for the recognition of being laughed at.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Captain Howdy said...

Must say I enjoyed the reviews of these movies but feel you left out one of the greatest rock n roll movies of all time. Roger Corman's Rock N Roll High School. Hope this ends up on your next set of movie reviews.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Captain Howdy- Welcome. I have not seen Rock 'n roll high school in years.

Sgt. Fluffy-I saw Dazed and confused like ten years and don't remember a lot about it. I couldn't find any evidence that the Bad News tour was out on dvd. I have heard of it, but never seen it. I might have enough films to do a 1970's hard rock week some time in the future.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home