Monday, April 03, 2006

Battle of the bands

Here is the April edition of the battle of the bands. It's very simple because I just name two bands and you say who you prefer and why. This month is a battle between two of the best real metal bands of all time. It is..........

Judas Priest vs. Motorhead

I have to go with Motorhead although it's a tough choice. Both have had fine careers, both hugely influential on the metal scene and both probably have about the same amount of great albums, but my choice boils down to two reasons.

1) Motorhead have had a more consistent career. "March of die" might be their weakest album and it's still decent while Priest have had a few clunkers including "Turbo", the two Ripper Owens albums and even "Rocka rolla" is mediocre at best. Motorhead not only survived the largely anti-metal 1990's, but they actually got more popular and finely got quite a bit of respect during that decade.

2)I respect Judas Priest, but there has always been a bit of a show involved with costumes and this metal warrior kind of hooey. Motorhead have always been the real deal. No put-on attitudes, no fancy costumes, not much of a stage set, just straight ahead no nonsense metal.

Oh, and don't forget Lemmy's wart, that's always been a big plus.

Who do you pick?

10 Comments:

Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

Judas Priest

9:17 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I agree with you. I have always liked the quote about Motorhead that states, " They are the kind of band that if they move next door, your grass dies."

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The choice is easy for me: Motorhead! While I respect Judas Priest, I rarely find myself listening to them. I think that they had some great albums but overall, I am just bored with them. I thought their reunion album was kind of medicore.

Motorhead have been getting better and better. I loved their last few albums. I think that they are stronger now than they have been in years. The current line up kicks ass!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

fred- Angel of retribution was average at best. It really came across and being very contrived. It was like they tried to blend together parts of Sad wings of destiny, Defenders of the faith and Painkiller. It came out just being kind of messy and dull.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last song on there, Loch Ness, was just laughable. I guess I assumed that because they used Bruce Dickenson's long time producer/guitar player Roy Z. that it would be better. I think they just played it really safe. The tour seemed to be a success though.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

Judas Priest seemed to be a little more of a fad.

8:23 PM  
Blogger HMT said...

the fact that I couldnt' get a ticket to a recent Motorhead show here in SD, but I had no problem getting front row tix to the Judas Priest show a few months back here means somethin..

motorhead.

8:26 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Priest.

You point out the few bad albums, but there are about 4 or 5 that are up there are some of the best. And the reason this puts them above Motorhead is the experimentation.

I like Motorhead, but I have a hard time listening to more than about four Motorhead songs in a row because of the lack of real variety. Contrast with an album like Sad Wings of Destiny. (Caveat: I have not heard the past couple of Motorhead albums. Maybe they have evolved.)

-- david

3:18 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David-Actually I did say that the two bands had about the same number of great albums. I think Motorhead have changed styles at times. Another perfect day, Orgasmatron, Bastards and a number of their more recent albums are a bit different from their earlier material.

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David: You should check out some of Motorheads newer releases. I think that the are much better than their older stuff. They have been on a streak lately. I think it has something to do with the good musicians in the band.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home