Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Good and bad in metal in 1986

Overall 1986 was a very good year for metal. Once a month I write a twenty year old album review and in December I will do my top twenty albums of 1986. Today I decided to list five good and five bad things that happened in metal during the year. I tried to refrain from just listing an album as being good or bad and concentrate on other things. Here they are, feel free to add your own.

The Bad
-Death of former Thin Lizzy singer/bass player/founder Phil Lynott. A great player who was just getting started on life after Thin Lizzy.
-Death of Metallica bass player Cliff Burton. He was a real talent who died way too young.
-Warner Brothers and Tony Iommi decide to release The Seventh Star album under the Black Sabbath name despite the fact that it is really a Tony Iommi solo project.
-Vivian Campbell leaves Dio. Life would go on for Dio and Campbell would have success with Whitesnake and Def Leppard, but he was my favorite Dio guitarist.
-Mark Free leaves King Kobra. I am probably the only one that cared about this, but he was a very good singer with this band.

The Good
+Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne give Metallica the opening slot on their tour. A huge boost for both bands.
+Motorhead come back with their first studio lp in three years. Metal needed Motorhead.
+Alice Cooper puts on the make-up again and goes heavy metal after numerous years of playing pop. His album is just okay, but his tour is huge and a new generation of hard rock fans embrace Alice.
+Def Leppard make a comeback of sorts by playing at the Monsters of rock festival.
+David Lee Roth wastes no time assembling a super group of sorts and releasing an album just a year after breaking up with Van Halen.


***Wednesday is my blogaversary so be there or be uh, read about it in the archives.***



3 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

Nice recap of the year. And in case I don't check in tomorrow, happy anniversary!

-- david

5:51 AM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

Happy anniversary. Keep rockin'.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David-Thanks. Some years I don't remember as well, but that year is still pretty strong in my memory.

Volkher-I agree about all three of those guys. New Motorhead is due out towards the end of summer.

Phoenix-Thanks. I hope something sort of special posted tomorrow, but I have no idea what it will be.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home