Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Ted Nugent-Full bluntal Nugity, 2001

This was recorded live on December 31st, 2000 at the annual Whiplash Bash at the Palace at Auburn Hills in Detroit, Michigan. The Nuge had finished touring as support for Kiss and was winding up his tour with this show. So playing in his home town on New Year's Eve means the crowd would be wound up. Ted delivers with a dozen tracks which is mainly made up of songs from the 75-80 period. I remember in the late 80's sitting in my parent's basement listening to Double live Gonzos on vinyl (yes, vinyl) and just being amazed by the Nuge's ability to just whip riffs out and it all just sounded so effortless. The reason I decided to review this album rather than Double live gonzos is because I wanted to see if there were any good live albums that have come out in recent years. I also wanted to see if an artist who made a live album over 20 years ago can still deliver a good live album. The answer is yes, he can and he does. The album kicks off with an instrumental called "Klstrphk" which is a really mean rocker that runs just under four minutes before going straight into Paralyzed and even though this song was over 20 years old at this time, it still sounds fresh. From there it really just flows from one track to the next. To me there were no real dull moments and several tracks do sound different from some previous live versions. Ted talks about the upcoming New Year and drops the F bomb more times than I remember. Yet the most important thing is that he still sounds like he still has some firepower behind him. He certainly is not some stale old relic up there going through the motions just for the sake of adding money to his retirement fund (you can fill in the blank as to who I may be referring to). The sound quality is extremely sharp and according to the back of the case, it says that is 100% live with no overdubs. Is that true? I would guess yes because I don't think that Ted would put that on there if it wasn't true because at this point in his career, he doesn't have to prove anything. If it's not true then it's still a great album and someone did a fine job of making it sound terrific. My favorite tracks include Great White Buffalo, Stranglehold, Free for all and Cat scratch fever.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell you from seeing him in Supergroup that Uncle Ted can still crank it, even at the age of 57, so it's no surprise that this cd sounds good. And he's never been one to hide from the truth, so I tend to believe the no over-dub statement.

8:20 PM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Ted Nugent is awesome!

6:05 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I have seen Uncle Teddy in concert a fistful of times. Controversial or not, the guy rocks hard.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home