Saturday, August 12, 2006

The 1980's

Probably most people think that the decade they grew up during was the best. There are actually a lot of things that I like about the 60's, 70's and 80's. I probably like all three about the same, but I was a teenager in the 1980's so I really got into music and movies during that decade. I remember being in fourth grade when January 1st, 1980 was approaching and it just seemed so weird for the 1970's to be ending because I was born in 1970 and that decade was all I had known at that point. Yet the 80's came and I got into music, movies, video games and continued watching TV shows and reading comic books. Music of the 80's was very exciting to me overall. Everything seemed so bright, loud, exciting and fun. Some people who younger look back at musicians of the 80's and may say they were tacky or cheesy, but music should be exciting and there is nothing wrong with being larger than life if that's what you are looking for. I started listening to rock and pop in the early 80's and eventually got into metal and hard rock closer to the mid 80's. So it was almost like the rise of metal was running parallel with my teen years and I of course figured it would just get better and better. I of course had very little grasp on what the music business was like so I was naive and probably still am to some extent. Yet I enjoyed the music immensely while it was at it's peak.

This is the first day of "Eight days of the 80's". Tomorrow I think I will have up my review of Motley Crue's Shout at the devil.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I think you are right about all of us thinking our decade was best. Mine was the 70's and the memories are great.

Looking forward to your Crue Review!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I too was a teenager of the 80's, but the 70's was my favourite decade.

I think the Brits were better at making music in the 70's.

Most of my favourite artists were from that decade or did their best stuff from 70 - 80.

1:47 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Interesting about the growing up alongside the music thing... I did the same; musical hand-me-downs of my older siblings were cool but, the new stuff was thrilling and so much different than the 70s and something I could call my *own*.

As much as people try to dismiss the 80s, I can say all of my younger relatives and their friends love it. Probably because their times musically and culturally lack imagination and is dominated by rap. I'd be reaching for another time zone too, if I were them. :)

Nice intro to your 80s week. :)

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in the 50s and 60s, and while the 60s produced some really good music, I think the 70s was the best time for rock and roll.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. I'm also a child of the 80s (b. 1972) and it was the best time. While my musical journey started in the late 70s, I would say that I also grew with the growing Rock/Metal scenes. To this day, when I see/hear a band that started in the early 80s, I say, "I remember when they first came out" or "I bought that album when it debuted" or "I can't believe it's been almost 20 (or 25) years".

80s children had the benefit of being the first for:

video games - even though Atari was a late 70s invention, who didn't have one? Or a Nintendo for that matter?

cable TV - can you imagine not having cable?

music videos, CDs, VCRs, cordless phones, home PCs, walkmans.....I could go on and on

3:39 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Barbara-I just feel sorry for the people who were teens in the 90's and thought it was cool.

Ben, Bruce-The 70's was a great decade too. I think that a lot on new things were done in music during that decade.

Onmywatch-The 80's had a personality as far as decades go. I think that it will stand out down the road as opposed to the 90's and this decade.

Steve-There was a lot of progress in the 80's. Another big thing about metal in the 80's was that there were bands in many countries and there was a huge underground scene all over. I think this helped to give the feel of a real scene or movement rather than some corporate driven fad.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I wasn't born until 86' so I wasn't able to really take in anything from this decade. I was more or less a 90's kid.

8:48 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I think you sum up the 80s well -- the music was much more fun than the decade that followed, that's for sure.

-- david

2:36 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I was born in 1972 and feel the same way you do about the 80's. MTV and Headbangers Ball was a huge thing for me before I could drive. I used to sit up and watch it all the time. I even used to tape it if I was out.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! adp tax purchase ativan online Mujeres masajistas latinas government tax lien listings detrol and seroquel car cover Minnesota bad credit loans Tennis us open winner all poultry medications

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Didrex and xenical dictionary Michelin man tires Car churchill group insurance online free sex movie radar detector adderall xr Carrier box truck air conditioners Email to fax free service Small business employee health insurance

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home