Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Ratt-Out of cellar, 1984

In the 80's the LA scene became really hot with a lot of glam or hair bands or whatever you want to label them. Ratt started to take shape around 1981 and they begin to earn a reputation through their many shows. By 1983 the band was getting some attention and they signed to tiny Time Coast records and released a self-titled, six song ep. This got the notice of Atlantic records who signed the band to a deal. By 1984 the band released their first full length album "Out of the cellar". I used to listen to this on tape over and over back when I was in ninth grade. I only own this one on vinyl now so that's how I had to listen to it. When I put it on the first thing I noticed was that is sounded faster and higher pitched than I remembered. Then I realized that Metalgirl must have switched the speed on my turntable from 33 to 45. So I reset it and started again. I have probably not heard this album in it's entirety in at least four years. You know, I actually think it's almost as good as I remember it being. Ratt were never overwhelming, but they were solid enough. They could write good enough straight ahead songs, but nothing too complicated. "Back for more" might be about as complicated as they get with it's intro and brief pace changes. Then again, hearing this now I can see why they got some notice then because they were more solid than a number of other bands. Ratt's biggest plus was that they were consistent. No clunkers on this album and everything is at least good if unspectacular.
It seems Ratt are one of the bands from the 80's that really gets a reputation as being "cheesy". Or at least that seems that they don't the respect of someone like Motley Crue. I am not totally sure why that is maybe it's because they peaked so early in their career. By peaked, I mean a commercial peak because they kept playing good albums for another six years after this. My favorite songs on this album are "You're in trouble", "She wants money", "Lack of communication" and "The morning after". I may have to get this on cd at some point.

9 Comments:

Blogger On My Watch said...

Holy God, did I play this a gazillion times when I first got it!?! This was one of those ones that was good all the way through.

But my top 5 favorites are:
1. Back for More
2. Lack of Communication
3. Scene of the Crime
4. In Your Direction
5. Wanted Man
(in that order) but like I said, I liked the whole thing.

Saw them for their Dancing Undercover tour and they kind of sucked live - maybe it was a sound problem, but it took forever to figure out what song they were playing. Disappointing, but I still liked them.

Round and Round has been played so much I hardly listen to it anymore - but at the time I absolutely loved it.

(funny that you said Ratt was considered Cheesy - ha)

9:16 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I love this entire album. The thing that amzes me about it is that, for me, it gets better with time. This is one of my all-time favorites, probably behind only Pyromania in the "hair metal/arena rock" genre.

-- david

5:37 AM  
Blogger Bobs B & B said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Bobs B & B said...

I LOVED this album when it came out, Jeebus it 22 years ago!!!!!!!

Favourite track is 'Roun And Round'-classic radio friendly rock, followed closely by 'Back For More', 'Wanted Man' and 'The Morning After'.

I got to see the band twice in their 'prime' in the mid 80s, once at the Monsters Of Rock Festival at Donnington and also supporting Ozzy at the Hammersmith Odeon in London.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The E.P. and Out Of The Cellar are RATT's best work, solid albums throughout. The rest a good albums but not as solid as OOTC. I still play OOTC more than any other RATT album, it stands better as time goes on.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Out of the Cellar is a great album and as with David, I still listen to it and enjoy every song. It's their only album that I can listen to straight thru. Back for More and Lack of Communication are great tunes.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Onmywatch-I think I wore out my tape of this and a copy of the tape.

David-It holds up amazingly well. No sappy ballads, no ridulous vocals,nothing is overdone on this album.

George-They didn't seem to be known as being a real good live band for some reason.

Steve-I probably like this album and Dancing Undercover the best for some reason.

Mike-There was a time in the very early 90's where I didn't listen to it much because I had heard it so many times in the 1980's.

11:24 AM  
Blogger BeckEye said...

RATT was always one of my least favorite bands. I liked "Round and Round" until it got played out and I liked "Lay it Down." That was about it. Not too many songs make me want to commit murder as much as "Way Cool Junior" does. God, I hate that!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Beckeyr-I think my least favorite hair bands from that time are likely Stryper and Warrant. Although it has been a long time since I have heard Stryper. Warrant just seemed to have nothing to offer. At least someone like Poison was fun to extent, there is not much joy in listening to Warrant.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home