Monday, November 20, 2006

Bang Tango-From the hip, 2006

Bang Tango released two great albums in Psycho Cafe (1989) and Dancin' on coals (1991). So vocalist Joe Leste is the only original member left in this band and two of his three band mates here are also in his other band Beautiful Creatures. I hesitated in buying this one due to the fear that it would be this band in name only and that the music wouldn't be able to touch the band's prime. Well I was partially correct in that it doesn't touch the band's prime. There is none of the funk that Bang Tango managed to use so well, the pace changes are not as frequent as Leste does not have the range he once had. However it's an energetic enough attempt that is at least in the same vein as the band's earlier albums. I think that Bang Tango established their own sound years ago, but a large part of this album sound like other bands including Faster Pussycat and maybe Guns and Roses at times. I don't think there was a need for that because I think the Bang Tango sound could still be built upon and sound good. Yet there are a few tracks that capture that sound to some extent. Ultimately it's a decent album overall. I have listened to it several times and will continue to listen to it for a while. However, a part of me wonders if any of these older hard rock (hair metal) bands can still manage to put out a great album because it has been some time since an artist whose prime was in the 80's or early 90's has a done truly great album. Then again I do admire Joe Leste to some extent for continuing to play the kind of music he likes and has been doing for most of the last 17 or so years.

4 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

This has nothing to do with this post, but every time I come to your page, I'm reminded of that song, "Time Machine" by...was it Deep Purple? It was on the Wayne's World soundtrack.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Sgt. Fluffy-It's decent overall. I paid $10 for it and felt that it was worth that.

Beckeye-That's Black Sabbath.

12:51 PM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

The only song I really ever listened to was, Someone Like You, which I played a million times. I didn't realize he was still in the game...good to know.

6:05 AM  
Blogger BeckEye said...

You will think I'm a moron but I always get Black Sabbath and Deep Purple confused. Unless it was the Ozzy days of Black Sabbath. After that, it's all kind of a blackish-purply haze.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home