Saturday, November 10, 2007

Cyclone-Brutal Destruction

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Metal Mind
2007 (originally released in 1986)

I remember twenty-one years ago waving around my cassette of this release trying to get people to listen to me rant about it’s greatness. Well, now I can rant about it in print and Metal Mind has released it on CD for the first time. Cyclone were a thrash band from Belgium and this was their 1986 debut. It contains only eight songs and just goes over the half an hour mark yet the songs were killer back then and they still are. It’s very tight styled thrash leaning slightly towards Exodus’ Bonded by blood and Metallica’s Kill ‘em all, but perhaps even more aggressive. The band demonstrates an uncanny knack for changing the pace at any given time and making it work. The guitar solos are just chaotic at times as they are just peeling off notes right and left, but it’s the absolute perfect style for this form of music. The vocals are strong and deep, but not exactly comparable to anyone I can think of. The album actually picks up steam as the earlier songs are good, but the album works it’s way on to great songs that make up the second half of the album. However, I have known all of that for many years. Yet this version did allow me to hear just how heavy it is now that it’s finally on CD. I was playing it in my car and really feel the drums pounding all around me as they pushed the songs along. Unfortunately Cyclone didn’t get much notice when this came out. They also waited several years to release a follow-up. Still I am thrilled that this is finally out on CD and in my hot little hand. Easily the best re-release of the year as the sound is fantastic and it includes a booklet with notes about the band’s history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home