Thursday, December 13, 2007

Top five best album covers of 1987

Here are my top five best album covers of 1987.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1-Motorhead-Rock-n-Roll

Motorhead normally had good covers, but this is a strong cover even by their standards.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2-Candlemass-Nightfall

A beautiful painting that with the the sound they were beginning to perfect.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3-Helloween-Keeper of the seven keys pt.1

I like how there are several points on the album where you can really see the depth as it goes beyond just one dimension.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


4-Black Sabbath-The Eternal Idol

Fairly basic cover, but somehow has a classic look and it just works for Sabbath.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

5-Anthrax-Among the living
A fairly simple approach yet I have always liked this cover a great deal.

Friday I will wrap up look at 1987 with a summary of that year and a look ahead to 1988.

6 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

The Helloween cover is good for what it is, I suppose, but all those fantasy covers have worn thin in my opinion.

I don't see what you see in the BS cover. It looks weak to me.

That Candlemass cover is a Thomas Cole painting, isn't it? I think they used another of his for a later album as well. Ray can tell us for sure as he's a big Candlemass and Thomas Cole fan.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

bob-I like fantasy covers if they are done right. I like this one because there are several points where you can look deeper into an object or place.

4:18 AM  
Blogger JP said...

The Eternal Idol cover is a very strange choice, I think, but somehow very memorable. Especially if you listen to it along with the title track, which is an odd one too, there's a lot of probably unwarranted symbolism you can think of, at least if you're an over-imaginative teenager. I was, when I first heard the album, so maybe that's why...

5:50 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

jp-It's a cover I have always liked. I used to have it on tape and only just recently got it on vinyl and I think that caused me to notice it again.

8:59 AM  
Blogger BeckEye said...

I love the Candlemass cover. Very Led Zeppelin-esque. Even if it is Thomas Cole. :)

2:05 PM  
Blogger The Dragon of M87 said...

"Killing Technology" by Away?!

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home