Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Interview with Steevi Jaimz

Photobucket
Vocalist Steevi Jaimz is perhaps best known for his time in Tigertailz in the mid-late 1980's as he sang on their "Young and crazy" album. Since then he has also had his own band. I recently got to talk to him and see what he is up to.



MM-What are you currently working on?
SJ-We're currently workin' some acoustic bonus trax for the re-issue of my Damned if I do... record.



MM-What are some of the first rock albums that you really got into?
SJ-My dad actually gave me my first LP in the early 70's, it was Led Zeppelin's 1st. To this day I luv that record. Other early records I really got into were Black Oak Arkansas Raunch n' Roll, Foghat Live and Wings's Band on the Run!



MM-The first real band you were in was called Treason, can you tell us something about that experience?
SJ-Hahahahahahahahahahha, yeah, it was a NWOBHM band, we originally had 3 guitar players and we were really bad. Although, that band did morph into the ultra glam, and way ahead of its time Crash KO in 82, and that was a truly magic time for me personally.



MM-You were in a band called "Idol Threat" with drummer Ace Finchum in 1985 and that was in Colorado. What was that experience like and was it difficult adjusting to being in the states?
SJ-At first, yes, it was difficult. I'd really never been out of the country 'til that time. I sold all my belongings and basically moved over there. But the experience of it all was awesome, mid 80's in America and me comin' from a small village from just outside Oxford. A real culture shock, to say the least. All of a sudden i had MTV, with Crue, Ratt,KKobra et al, all blastin' out from the TV screen. My time over there was some of the best experiences i have to this day to be honest. Unfortunateley Idol Threat didn't take off, but to be fair it was a kinda semi covers band... All in all it was fukkin' great times!!



MM-What do you remember about the writing and recording of "Young and crazy" with Tigertailz?
SJ-Jeez, it's all a bit hazy ya know...First off, Young and Crazy was actually recorded twice. First time in Wales. Music For Nations signed us after that and we re-did a Second, that would finally come out as Young & Crazy. Recorded in Strawberry Hill, London. Most of the tunes for Y&C were written while I was livin' in a bedsit in Cardiff between '85 - '86... A lot of the tunes would come from riff tapes that Pepper made for me, and i would spend my time siftin' thru ideas and writin' to those that I liked and could work with. There was a lot of drinkin', partyin' and general madness goin' on throughout that recordin' if i remember correctly. Livin' Without You will always stick in my mind from those days though, as it was the first song we wrote as that line-up of Tigertailz. Still the best TTz song in my opinion. But i would say that I guess, hahahaha.



MM-What were some of the highs and lows of your time in Tigertailz?
SJ-Highs were gettin' signed after workin' our arses off for years. Headlinin', and selling out 2 nights at the old Marquee club in wardour street. And finally releasin' the record. My real low, was my slow spiral outta control on drink. My biggest demon!



MM-Were you surprised when you were put out of Tigertailz?
SJ-Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Not at all, it was inevitable. My drinkin' and notoriety was at an all time high. The guys in the band couldn't stand me and I couldn't stand them. So all in all it was for the best. Time had run it's course I'm afraid. I had actually quit the band a year or so before that, when I went for the vacant Tokyo Blade vocalist job. Not too many people know that happened.



MM-What were you doing in the 1990's?
SJ-Playin' all the dives that god created, playin' my music to the shoe starin' audience. Although in 1998 I did release my Damned if I do...Damned if I don't... record.


MM-What have you not done in your career that you would love to do?
SJ-Fukkin' ell, too many things to mention here, hahahahahahahahaha...



MM-How do you approach writing and recording differently now as opposed to twenty years ago?
SJ-Totally different...Back then I was a young kid, writin' tons of songs for fun. Workin' 'em hard 'til we had what we wanted. Now it's way more of a set kinda way way. Goin' into the studio and workin' on it there, and then recordin'. We still demo everythin' but I actually pay way more attention to the songs now. No drinkin into oblivion and hopin' it all turns out fine.


MM-What do you think are some of the best songs you have ever recorded and why?
SJ-You know I'm gonna say what I have done recently, hahaha...but it really is. The tunes we have now are way more superior than anythin' I've ever done before, in my opinion. Although, I'm still very proud of songs like Livin' Without You and Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. Those tunes were of the time, ya know. A time where everythin' was goin' on. The reason I think that new tunes like Amazin' and Somethin' good etc... Are great. Well, it's coz i'm finally happy with how they sound. In the past I've always been rushed to record stuff, or outta my mind drunk. Now though, I'm really enjoyin' what I'm doin' and how I'm soundin' on it. Just listen to it, I think you'll agree.



MM- What are some of your favorite albums of 2007?
SJ-Not really got any particular faves from then. But here's a few of my faves from 2006. Hope that'll do for ya... Hardcore Superstar (S/T). Crash Diet (Rest in Sleaze). My Chemical Romance (The Black Parade)

MM-Pick the band from the following pair that you prefer and briefly state why.


SJ-

Guns and Roses or Motley Crue
Both...Crue for the attitude and the Too Fast For Love record. And GN'R for the awesome Appetite for Destuction record



Slade or Sweet
Again both. Can't separate 'em, I grew up on both bands, and they were fukkin' excellent!!


Faster Pussycat or Poison
Neither, didn't really dig either of those bands. Not my bag at all...Sorry.


Alice Cooper or KISS
Alice Cooper in the 70's was superb, as was Kiss. Both are a little lame now.



MM-What advice would you give a band just starting out today?
SJ-DON'T DO IT!!! Hahahahahahahahahahaha. No, seriously, who am I to give anyone advice.


MM-Anything else you want to say about your band or your music?
SJ-Yeah, just go check out some of the new tunes on our Myspace page. And get ready for the release. It'll definitely surprise one or two people I know that.
Thanx guys. Take care. Steevi.

http://www.steevijaimz.com/

www.myspace.com/steevijaimzband

-Thanks to Steevi for doing the interview.

5 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

There aren't enough rockers today who spell their names wrong on purpose.

I've never even heard of Tigertailz. But this guy seems like he must have been fun to interview.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

beckeye- It was a fun interview.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steevi Jaimz? - what great fun this guy still is!!!!!!

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good interview.
I can personally vouch for Steevi's antics off stage as he was VIPed for my Rock Clubs in London - very popular singer and had a good agent - always pleased to book his band.
I was really pleased to hear his new stuff.
Rock on!!
Richard

10:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I first got to know Steevi when I purchased a copy of "Young & Crazy" back in 1987 and to this day both the album and Steevi's vocals are on top of my list when it comes to naming favourite albums and vocalists. Over the years I have kept in touch with Steevi (who's a close friend of my other mate Kelv Hellrazer)and I simply love everything he has done since parting ways with TT. Like the guy says his new stuff is awesome and is sure to surprise a few people. So keep your eyes and ears open for the return of Steevi!!!!!!!!!

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home