Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super Bowl story

Photobucket

This has nothing to do with music, but being as today is the Super Bowl it is appropriate. In case you don't know I have been a Denver Broncos fan since the late 1970's. Ten years ago The Broncos got to the playoffs and most people had written them off because they struggled down the stretch of the regular season. Yet they beat the Jaguars in the first round then went on the road and knocked off the Chiefs and then the Steelers. They were going back to the Super Bowl for the first time in eight years, but they were taking on the defending the Super Bowl Champions the Packers. At the time I was working as a teacher's assistant for a special education class at a High School making very little. The Monday before the Super Bowl I woke up feeling horrible sick, but I had no sick days and didn't feel like I could take off so I had to go to work. About half way to work my car cut out on me. I put on my emergency blinkers and almost got hit by a car flying up behind me going about 15 miles over the speed limit on this little back road. Fortunately there were guys working on phone lines nearby that offered to help me push my car off the road and take me to work. They took me to work and I started feeling worse and had trouble standing, but I pushed through and had to spend my breaks calling about getting my car fixed. By Wednesday I was feeling better and my car was fixed. It was a rough week at work with the kids being unusually awful. That Saturday I went to get my oil changed and while in line a guy with a big mouth who worked there saw my Broncos license plate and said "You don't actually the Broncos can beat the Packers do you?". I told him that they could and he turns his head and yells "Hey, this guy actually thinks the Broncos are going to win!". So everyone at the oil change place had a good laugh at my expense. I remember thinking about all that had happened during the week and thinking "Dear Lord surely on top of all that has happened this week the Broncos will not lost the Super Bowl". The next day I watched the game on pins and needles and watched the back and forth battle that finally ended with the Broncos upsetting the Packers, winning their first Super Bowl and ending the NFC's winning streak all at once. It was a great day to be a Broncos fan and it made up for all those disappointing Super Bowl losses of the past.

***Hope you enjoy the game tonight! If the Pats win then they make history and if the Giants win then they will have pulled off a mighty upset. I am just hoping for a good game because the last two Super Bowls have been sloppy and boring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

Congratulations to the Giants for winning last night. I was very surprised to hear The Mongoose by Fu Manchu being used for the Toyota Squoia commercial. I think I heard Danzig being played ona commercial too, but I tried to block that out.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home