Friday, March 21, 2008

Some more mini-reviews

Photobucket
I am still making it through that stack of older CDs that I picked up a few weeks ago. I am finding that some are gems, some are not and the rest fall at different levels in between. So here are five more that I listened to this past week.

Budgie-Power Supply (1980)
It was the 80's and Budgie had changed guitarists yet this was probably their best album in six years at that point. A much heavier, more raw album than they had done in some time. This one gets overlooked far too often because too many people assume this was after their prime.

Survivor-Vital Signs (1984)
Almost every song sound like something that someone would pick to have played at their wedding. I like some AOR and the vocals are strong, but this is just so sappy that I can only take it in small doses. Plus the fact that so many songs here were overplayed on the radio back in 84-85.

Cycle sluts from hell (1991)
This is a mixed bag overall and I actually bought this on cassette when it came out. Some of the songs are joke songs and they work, but then they try to be sort of serious and those songs are just alright. It would have been stronger as just a total joke album.

MSG-Save yourself (1989)
I liked when Robin McAuley sang for MSG, he had a good voice and was a nice fit. This album is decent, but it's a just a bit retrained at times. It really seemed like they needed for the music to just explode a little more and the album could have used that extra energy.

LA Guns-Cocked and loaded (1989)
I think I wore out a copy of this on cassette back then. It's still good, but not nearly as explosive as I remember it being. I think this band's biggest problem was that even when they rocked they had problems really defining their own sound.

The Budgie CD was the only one I had not heard before. The Survivor CD was about like I remembered it being, the LA Guns and Cycle Sluts were not as good as I remember them being and the MSG one may have been a little better than I remember it being years ago. There you go, I may post some more of these as I eventually make it through the rest of the pile.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to read those little reviews. I love that BUDGIE album too and its underated, i agree. I was listening this week to their IN FOR THE KILL album from 74.
I liked MSG with McAULEY too. Some old MSG fans didnt like him to be in the band but i always did. I liked the singer also in GRAND PRIX.
I like old SURVIVOR before that album you played but when i am in a melodic mood i play it but i understand your point.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Rene-Thanks for stopping by. I was listening to a lot of Budgie this week. Most of their albums have aged very well.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home