Saturday, April 19, 2008

Interview with Mustang Cobra

Photobucket
Mustang Cobra hail from Rhode Island and have been around for about a year now. I heard some good things about them so I got to check in with them and find out more about this band and what they are up to.

MM-Please introduce yourselves and tell what instrument you play.
My name is Christian White and I front Mustang Cobra.
My name is Aaron Leidecker and I am one of the guitarists.
My name is Natalie & I play the drums.
Dino-I tickle the six string fretboard.
Zeus Sousa....rider thunder.

MM-Tell us a little about the history of your band.
N: The band came together in April '07. The boys did a great job spreading the gospel of Cobra WAY before I joined - they already had t-shirts made & had created buzz that resonated all over Providence and beyond. By the time they asked me to be their drummer, people were salivating at the mere mention of this band. They were dying for it. I think the band has done very well, despite only playing live since last August. Since the recent arrival of Christian on vocals, Mustang Cobra has become a freight train. Totally unstoppable. I'm proud to be in this band.
Z: History is a spoil of those that are victors....this story is this flesh and metal come together as one....hot blood and cold steel...

MM-Do you see this as just a temporary project or is it long term?
C: I see everything as long term until it becomes temporary. I am a fickle motherfucker but, with or without me, Cobra is forever!
A: I am willing to go as far as this is going to go.
N: In the beginning, I figured we'd go full-blast & see where it took us. Now, not even a year later, we have a great local fan base & people are demanding a CD. We're ready to break out of New England & get this show on the road.
D: I love Mustang Cobra 4-evaZ: I'm projecting this project is as long as the term of its existence.

MM-Who are your musical influences?
C: Glenn Danzig, Iggy, Miss Natalie, Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Josh Homme...Yes, I said JETHRO TULL. Metal indeed.
A: Just music in general. Whether it's "What's the Buzz?" from Jesus Christ Superstar or "The Anti-Christ" from slayer. When I HEAR good music, it influences me to MAKE good music.
N: As a drummer, I have influences all across the board. I love the metal masters - Iron Maiden, Slayer, etc. I also have a big place in my heart for the greats like Sinatra & Louie Prima. I'm heavily influenced by my band mates; they're all stellar musicians & make me want to become a better drummer.
D: Richard Marx,Rick Astley,and Gerardo to name a few.
Z: I'm a sucker for a falsetto....sing me to sleep with the hooks of your horns.

MM-How would you describe your sound?
C: We are metal heavy soft at the core gimme summmore gimme summmore...headbangin' orgy metal.
A: Traditional heavy metal. The way it was, the way it should be.
N: Classic Power Metal
D: Theatrics-KISS. Flash-Whitesnake. Sound-Diamond Head...kinda like "Kiss my WhiteHead"!
Z: White hot love fist fuck fight heat.

MM-What are some of your songs about and where do you get the ideas for your song topics?
C: Well...obviously there's swords and sorcery. Pagan dancing and hot blood. We are old testament metal. Angry and vengeful. Locusts and shit.
A: The lyrics I write are a lot about fantasy worlds. I don't really dive too deep into political/religious topics. But Christian is the main lyric man, so he probably has a totally different answer.
N: That's one for the guys to answer. I just hit things.
D: They're about 4-5 minutes long and as far as topics, we try to stay away from bad ideas.
Z: "Good composers borrow....great composers steal."-Paul McCartney...or so I was told. I don't bother to look up much of what I've heard. Yeah, sure???

MM-Some of you have been in bands that play different style of music and I believe that you have been on bills with bands from different genres. Is that difficult when you plays shows like that or is everyone still into what you are doing?
C: Well, that can be a mixed bag. Depends on the band. For instance, we'll play with a band like THE COLD WAR, who we sound nothing like, yet for some strange reason it works. Other times...not so much. The bottom line is when Cobra plays, no other bands matter. We are METAL. We are not musicians. We are destroyers.
A: I like when all the bands on a bill bring something different to the table. Shows where everyone is playing almost the same thing bore me.
N: Playing in bands of different styles makes you a well-rounded musician! I think the array of musical backgrounds we all have in Mustang Cobra has resulted in one bad-ass combination.We have definitely been on bills with bands that are nothing like us. In my opinion, that's a great thing. I personally am not a fan of going to shows with 3-4 bands that sound identical. Mix it up, make it interesting, and expose the crowd to different bands they may not have seen otherwise.
D: Not difficult at all. If we make 1 fan or 100, that show was worth playing. To be honest, if they ever invent a 500 dollar bill I would really like to be on that.
Z: Check out The Cold War. We like to hang out with them. Those Suffering Bastard/I, Destroyer kids are super awesome. Other people are usually alright. It's a fuckin' crapassshoot asswell....roll your 13 sided die to raise your charisma...."what is my, what is my?".

MM-What’s the music scene like in your area?
C: Myopic.
A: It's got a lot of potential. Some of the most talented musicians I have ever heard live not ten minutes from me. I love it.
N: Live music is in trouble. And not just in Providence - everywhere. Clubs are closing down one by one, being resurrected into lame Top-40 Meat Markets. It's unfortunate, but we're doing everything we can to keep the music scene thriving. Every time we play a show & there's a mass of sweaty people in front of the stage, pumping their fists and singing along, I smile. Live music in Providence will not die on our watch.
D: It needs fixing. There are many really great people in a ton of good bands that are busting their ass to get their music heard. CHECK THEM OUT!
Z: "...two words combined that don't make sense."

MM-How many original songs do you have so far? Any plans to record a CD in the near future?
C: We are recording right now. You can hear a track on our myspace page...myspace. com/mustangcobraband...
N: Eight and counting. We're in the process of recording our first full-length (or EP), and it will be diabolical.

Photobucket

MM-Do you play any cover songs live? If so then what?
A: What? And spoil the surprise? I will tell you that they are songs you love and will pump your fist and sing along to, but you'll have to come to a show to hear "the goods".

What are the some of the best shows that you have played so far?
C: The first show Mustang Cobra ever played (without me) at Jerky's was a high water mark for ANY RI band. Ever. With me, I'd say our 'Ides of March' show, also at Jerky's. I thought we owned.
N: The first show was RIDICULOUS. Fog, lights, and tons of metal horns up in the air. It was glorious. Since that debut gig, our first show with Christian (@ Ralphs Diner) was fantastic. He had one band practice with us, got up onstage, and owned it.
D: They have all been great in their own unique way, but personally the next one will always be my favorite.
Z: Any show that supplies enough sauce....

MM-Obviously you like 80’s metal a lot. What do you think was so good about the music from that decade?
C:Here was a solid mix of thrashy true metal, mixed with social commentary that lacked the demon of pretentiousness. It's a fine line between saying something and rawking out. You need to listen to the old masters to understand exactly how to do this without assing up the place.
A: Excess. That, and everything was about fun. Having a good time all the time....this is our motto, as well as Viv Savage's.
N: Decadence. All the great 80s bands pulled no punches when it came to their stage shows.
D: It's what I grew up on. If you don't like it now you never liked it then.
Z: I prefer the Metal from the 70's.

MM-What should someone who comes to one of your shows expect?
C: A harangue of black noise and both a stiff neck and cock. Don't come unless you are prepared to kneel.
N: To be completely aroused & go home with temporary Tinitus.

Pick the band from the following that you prefer and tell why.

KISS or Motley Crue
C: Tull.
A: Motley Crue. They are my favorite band of all time. KISS is up there though.
N: Crue! KISS is all cheese.
D: Well, KISS's "Destroyer" album was the first metal record I owned. I was probably 6 or 7 and my life hasn't been the same.
Z: I'd rather "meet, meetchyu in the ladies room" than go "smokin' in the boys room". Gene's tongue legends Tommy's dong.

Megadeth or Metallica
C: Tull.
A: Megadeth. Hands down. Dave Mustaine is a better song writer, better guitar player and he has ALWAYS kept it real. Well...kind of. More than Metallica, thats for sure.
N: Metallica. "Master of Puppets" will forever be in my Top 5.
D: I look at this like a boxing match. Metallica kicked their ass for the first few rounds. In the middle of the fight Megadeth started landing some heavy shots and the tide started to turn. Later in the fight they just danced around the ring without even throwing a punch. That's when I threw away my entire 9th grade wardrobe. But I am curious what Rick Rubin producing the new Metallica album will be like. Maybe they'll land that haymaker and knockout Megadeth in a Balboa like fashion.
Z: Why not have both...."Kill'em All"!!!

Iron Maiden or Judas Priest
C: Mustang Cobra.
A: You cant make me do that, man.
N: Maiden all the way. Although "Painkiller" is just so ridiculously good.
D: How? Why?...impossible.
Z: The electric eye burrows deeply in the furrows of a piece of mind. This is a gangland of orgiastic harmonies, you'd better learn your lesson and get hell bent! We are the neighbors of the beast....and it's two minutes to midnight!

MM-Is there anything else that you would like to say about your band or your music?
C: Music is a cunt. This is still a fistfight.
A: If you haven't heard us, listen. If you haven't seen us, come to a show. We have a blast onstage, the crowd has a blast offstage. It's a party and it always will be.
N: If I wasn't in Mustang Cobra, this would be my favorite band to go see. Get your ass to a show.
D: CD out soon, hitting the road, spreading the word!
Z: We like Jagermeister. Don't be shy, buy us a round....

http://www.myspace.com/mustangcobraband

***Thanks to Mustang Cobra for doing the interview.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home