Friday, June 26, 2009

Number 19

Photobucket
On to number 19 of my top 25 hard/metal guitarist countdown. There are only a couple guys on this list who here because of real contributions to multiple bands. Michael Schenker is one of those because of his work with UFO, his early work with his own band and even some work on one Scorpions album. His work with UFO was his most impressive though. He came in and made an immediate impression on that band and quite honestly elevated their sound right away. At his best he has create a balance between solid rhythms and killer solos. The flying V is pretty cool too.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Woody said...

It makes me so sad to see him playing a Dean Flying V these days. MSG just played in NYC the other night but I didn't go. As much as I love him, I just don't trust him.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Martell said...

This is a great pick. Although not a huge UFO fan there impact was prevelent in the genre at their peak. Often over looked the whole band should be honored a little more.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

He and Uli Roth are my favorite guitarists of all time. Neither are THE best technically but are just SO melodic and tasteful. Michael actually played on 2 Scorpions albums, Lonesome Crow from '72 and Lovedrive '79, along with Mattias Jabs.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I had a four and a half hour interview with Michael, which contrasts his silent reputation, but I will NEVER forget this conversation as long as I live... I agree, great pick

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home