Thursday, August 06, 2009

Ten 1980's albums that I underrated

Photobucket

In no real order here they are.

Cinderella-Long cold winter
This came out when I was full swing into speed metal so it didn't click with me until a few years later. Then I came to see how great of an album it is.



Iron Maiden-Seventh son of a seventh son
Again I was into speed metal and when Maiden went slightly lighter I didn't take to it at first. Maybe two years later I came around.

KISS-Creatures of the night
I liked this one, but I think that because I didn't own it for a while that I never gave it all the credit that it deserved. Easily the best KISS album of the 1980's and a top ten album for 1982.

Cirith Ungol-King of the dead
Went in hoping for straight forward speed metal and I dismissed it because it wasn't that style. Actually it's a whole lot better than most of the speed metal releases of the time.

WASP-Inside the electric circus
I was into their first two releases, but this one seemed a little light to me when I first heard it. It's not as good as the two before it, but it's a better effort than I first gave it credit for.



Metal Church-s/t
The dark was my introduction to this band. Although I heard the debut it was a while before I actually bought it and got to hear it a lot. Probably at least five years until I figured out that this was the band's best effort and unfortunately the band never totally followed the style that they started here.

Sodom-In the sign of evil
It's an EP and not the best produced album of all time. Plus I was into heavier albums by the time I heard this early thrash release. Eventually I went back and relaized that Sodom were on the right track with this one.

Dio-Dream Evil
I saw the two videos and already had it in my mind that this was going to blow. It didn't make an impression on my in 1987. Like three years later while listening to it on headphones it came to me that although far from perfect, it still had a lot to offer.

Motorhead-Another perfect day
No Fast Eddie, no way! That was my reaction to this album for a long time. Eventually I heard it for the solid disc it was. It was an attempt at a slightly different direction and most of it works.


Overkill-Feel the fire

Like Metal Church, I heard the sophomore album first so I took to "Taking over" for a while. It was some time before I bought this one. When I heard it more I was overwhelmed by just how heavy it was for the time. Like Metal Church I don't think they quite followed up this sound like they should have.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Woody said...

I was one of the few that LOVED Another Perfect Day when it came out. I saw them on that tour at Lamour in Brooklyn and my ears rang for 3 days.

Overkill's Feel The Fire was great, but would have been even better if it came out a year earlier. Their 1st EP has always been my favorite. Saw those guys a zillion times back then and they were a great live band but lost interest when the 2nd tape came out.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only been a Motorhead "fan" for about 10 years but APD is my favorite. I have the entire album cover tattooed as a backpiece. 7th Son still bugs me. I hated it when I first heard it. I listened to it again a few months ago after not hearing it for a few years and it has aged well. The repetitive chorus still drive me nuts. Cinderella didn't click with me until the last decade but now I dig LCW and the debut. Always liked the KISS, WASP, MC, DIO and CU albums. Never really dug Sodom...but I neither like nor dislike them.

3:03 PM  
Blogger The Ripple Effect said...

Actually, I just picked up that Cinderella album last week for 50 cents in a cut out bin, and felt the same way.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Sean Coleman said...

Another Perfect Day never gets enough love, but it's a fine album. I played the crap out of that cassette in the early 80s. Nice blog. Metal was the centre of my universe back then. Still listen to a lot of it.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home