Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Dawnrider-Two

Photobucket
Ragingplanet
2009


Portugual's Dawnrider are not the kind of band that hit you with a full on frontal assault or at least not all at once. They believe in inching towards you a few steps at time. Despite the slow and deliberate pacing they still carry a massive amount of power. Dawnrider sound like a band who began their musical education back in the 1970's with the slow and heavy inventors Black Sabbath and Pentagram and Dawnrider figured out the heaviness needed. Then they worked their way into the 1980's absorbing traits from more abstract sludge pushers like Witchfinder General and Saint Vitus. Then they wound their way into the 1990's and inhaled and retained the massive sound and snail like movements of bands like Sleep and early Electric Wizard. Maybe they did or didn't discover those sounds in that order. No matter the course they still somehow absorbed various influences and tied them together into an approach that will slowly seep into your pores and overcome you. Not content with just copying others Dawnrider weave in their fair share of melodies into the mix. Now they may not sit well with all doom fans, but to these ears it adds an extra element that provides some real texture to their songs. There are a few moments that sit rather move forward, but they are few and far between. Dawnrider's "Two" is an album that pleased me immediately and I hearing more that I like about it the more I spin the disc.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty good to me... I will check this one out. Plus, the album artwork is Metal fine too.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I hope you like it. I was pleased with it. Might have made my top 25 of the year had I heard it sooner.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how many "new" cool albums you get into after the year ends... keeping up is really impossible these days. However, that is great with me... the more Metal out there... the better.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home