Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Vista Chino-Peace

Napalm Records
2013

Let me start off this review by stating that in no way, shape or form will I attempt to navigate the who, what, when, where and why of Kyuss and/or the bands it has spawned. All I will say is that this band, which features three musicians who at one point or another played with Kyuss, was formerly known as Kyuss Lives! and are now known as Vista Chino. You've got Brant Bjork (who played drums in Kyuss), John Garcia, (who had been the lead vocalist for Kyuss on and off) and bassist Nick Oliveri (also of Kyuss).  Guitarist Bruno Fevery (also a member of the band Arsenal) fills out this 4-piece act which, true to expectation, doesn't fall too far away from the original concert of Kyuss. The singing of John Garcia sounds similar to what I remember of him from Kyuss (it is worth mentioning that while I have heard Kyuss over the years I am in no way either a fan or detractor of the group) with the rest of the band laying down interesting stoner/desert rock. If I knew more about Kyuss I am sure I could have used kind of descriptive words to paint the connection between the two, but I am only a casual acquaintance of the group. Even so this release is pretty sweet with all kinds of creative riffing, heavy bass lines and of course the vocals of John Garcia. In fact "Peace", which is this band's debut-album, is an album I intend to sit and enjoy time and time again just so I can further explore all the creative nuances of this album. Definitely worth-wile especially if you find yourself missing Kyuss.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home