Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Aerosmith-Get your wings, 1974

Aerosmith's second album gets unfairly overlooked at times. Perhaps it's due to the lack of radio hits because the most known song on the album is a cover of "Train kept a rollin". Or perhaps it's because people are just more familiar with "Toys in the attic" and "Rocks" and this album tends to be in the shadows of those two later releases.. The truth is that "Get your wings" might be seen as a transition album, but a very important transition for the band. I think that the band's sophomore effort saw them gaining confidence and really beginning to feel comfortable with what they were doing. They also began to establish a real groove in their sound as well. The album kicks off with "Same old song and dance" and it's a good representation of this album. The tune is simple yet you feel a real confidence from the band that wasn't completely there on their self-titled debut. Tracks like Lord of the thighs and Spaced show a real command over the pace of the music and it reveals the bands musical growth as well. Aerosmith's cover of the Yardbirds "Train kept a rollin" is a very fun song and they actually manage to put their own sound into the song. My favorite song is probably "Seasons of wither" which is overall a slow song, but it really builds up to a peak and allows the band to demonstrate a more serious side. I saw Aerosmith twice in 1994 and the second time they pulled out some more obscure older songs including this one. It sounded fresh then and still sounds fresh now. Long before a different generation identified these guys with "Dude looks like a lady" and "Love in an elevator", this Boston band was one of the best hard rock bands of the 1970's.

5 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

I'm with you on this--Get Your Wings is one of my favorites, an underrated classic. Good pic.

-- david

3:19 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Sgt. Fluffy- Done with mirrors gets overlooked. I think that tour did good, but the album just did okay. I think it came across as a bit serious at the time unlike the albums that came after it.

10:00 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

An awesome review of an awesome album. It is definantly one of my favorites and should be a primer for anyone in the genre.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Ben- I didn't know that it was not released in the UK. It's worth tracking down though.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

I loved that album and still listen to it. Its actually one of my faves by them, thanks for pointing it out. I think I'll listen to it later.


P.S. I started going to Aerosmith concerts in '76, and saw them about 5 times I think.....

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home