Sunday, November 26, 2006

What's coming up?

There are two parts to this week, that being the November part and the December part. So here are the topics for the November part.

It came from the pages of Hit Parader
Iron Maiden-A matter of life and death review
Dragonforce-Inhuman Rampage review

Then starting on December 1st I will begin my countdown of the top ten hard rock/metal albums of 1986. I have been working on this list since August. Back then I picked 22 albums from 1986 that I thought might make my top ten and I listened to each one and narrowed it down. So from December 1st-10th I will countdown my top ten with my top album being revealed on the 10th. Then on the 11th I give out the not so coveted "Golden Turd" award for 1986. I started doing this last year and it goes to a band who did a bad album that was disappointing in some way. However on the same day I will also do a new award which is the "Biggest Improvement" for 1986. Then on the 12th I will conclude the awards for 1986 with the five best and five worst album covers of the year.

Doing this top ten is a fun project and it allows me to really examine and compare albums. Over the last two years I have found that these things always happen.
1)A band I initially think will make the top ten doesn't
2)A dark horse always slips into the top ten
I will warn you that 1986 was much more a year for speed metal and heavier bands than it was for hair metal. In fact only one band that could be classified as hair metal made my top ten for 1986, but it will likely be different when I do 1987 next year. I hope you will enjoy my top ten or at least tolerate my ramblings about the past.

***With Christmas fast approaching, what do you want for Christmas?

6 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

interesting to see what your comments on Dragonforce will be...the kids in my neighborhood asked me for a copy of it....I'm fascinated how metal kids a short time ago scorned the use of guitar solos, and now if you don't use them, you're lame, and now Dragonforce raises the bar...I remember I let Bob hear some of it and when I went downstairs he said "Don't leave me alone with that again!"

6:02 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

oh yeah, I'm also interested to see your thrash bands coming up...I found a Nuclear Assault CD over the weekend that has Game Over and The Plague on it. That was a no-brainer...

As for Christmas, I only really want a couple of DVDs, otherwise, it's corny to say, but I want to see the less fortunate have something for Christmas

6:04 AM  
Blogger Will said...

I'm looking forward to the IM review. As for christmas DVD's, I'm saving hard for the Clash singles box set on 7" vinyl. Every Clash single in the original sleeve and it's expensive, but worth it for Clash fools like me.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to your review of AMOLAD. For Christmas, I told my wife I want nothing expensive, just some CD's and DVD's.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Dragonforce review will be interesting as your take on the new Maiden.

For Xmas.....well we bought the new house, we bought the dog Saturday, and things are going pretty well so I really have no wants.

But if I had to choose something I would ask for gift cards to the local record shop (very predictable!).

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do I want for Christmas? To wake up; anything else is gravy.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home