Monday, March 05, 2007

Whitesnake-s/t, 1987

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
In 1984 Whitesnake released "Slide it in" and it was a change in style. The band became more hard rock and they also got noticed. Fans were excited about a follow-up, but it was delayed some until the self titled release finally emerged in 1987. This is a strange one in a way because here was a band that had been around for about decade yet many people who took to this album thought they were a new band. Then again the style here is very different from the early albums as way. There is no denying that this is a good representation of a big production 80's hard rock album. The sound is very sharp production wise and you can just tell that this music was very much intended to be played in a big arena. I have always thought that David Coverdale is a very strong singer and he doesn't disappoint here. John Sykes has been sorely overlooked at times because his playing here is tight and strong on the small details. He is also a good back-up singer. Add in a solid rhythm section of former Jefferson Starship and Journey drummer Aynsley Dunbar and longtime Whitesnake bass player Neil Murray and you have a good start. Now I have to admit that I was not real fond of this album back when it was released. I loved "Slide it in", but had kind of given up waiting on the follow-up and also I was very into speed metal at the time. However time has been kind to this album and I have gotten over the many times I had to hear the hits off this song. It's holds up well and they did good job of mixing up the pace for the most part. Although I would have liked to have seen maybe one or two more rockers on it for good measure. Even though I have come to terms with the tracks that were once played to death on the radio, it's really some of the other songs that stand out to me now. Like the opener "Crying in the rain" and it's larger than life sound and spot on vocals. Then there is "Bad boys" which despite the ultra-cheese lyrics is still a catchy tune with a good opening riff and a killer solo from Sykes. "Children of the night" has an opening riff that is actually heavy enough to remind me of Dio and a big drum beat that keeps it going. However my favorite track on this album is "Straight for the heart" with it's streaming melody and a sound that's a bit of a blend of late 70's and 80's hard rock. My only real complaint about this album might be that I might have switched the last two tracks. "Don't turn away" although a decent song gets kind of lost at the end of the album. It's the ballad you don't know and it follows two of the heavier songs on the album. I think "Straight for the heart" might have been a better closer. That's a small complaint though. It's good album that has held up nicely. It was also the breakthrough for this band as it would eventually hit #2 on the Billboard charts. Unfortunately Coverdale cleaned house and the main line-up that recorded the album were replaced when video and touring time came around.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
**Remember this is March Metal Madness which means three other bloggers are reviewing this same album today. So if you have not already done so, go ahead and hop over to Hardrock hideout, Heavy metal addiction and Pulses, verses and other flotsam to read their Whitesnake reviews.

***The madness continues next Monday as all four of us will be reviewing Dio's Dream Evil.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big arena rock album from back in the day, one of the classics of the '80s. I don't reach for it that much anymore because the singles were overplayed everywhere. It's still a good play from time to time and was a pleasure to review with my fellow writers for March Metal Madness.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Fabrulana said...

I actually forgot I did have this album some time ago. I recognised the cover though. The sounds of Still of the Night suddenly fill my brain. Good album this - must find it again.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

My favourite album of all time! This one meant so much to me when it came and shaped my listening for the next 20 years. Although Is This Love is over-exposed the first release UK version of the LP didn't feature Here I Go Again - this was only on the CD and the b-side of Still Of The Night so didn't get overexposed. We did get a US Remix of it as the fourth single but it was quite different. The whole album is still a fantastic example of what was good about 80s rock!

1:51 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

That's so funny, in my write-up, I dismissed both "Don't Run Away" and "Straight For the Heart" from this album, thinking they don't roll with the rest of the material. I'll listen closer to "Straight" and see if I detect anything new, but I always felt that way and felt it again when doing my write-up this time. It's definitely an album I refuse to lose despite its commercial prowess.

4:37 AM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

I was one of those people who thought Whitesnake was a new band with this album!

Great album! One of my favorites form them...this also introduced me to the wonders of Tawny Kitaen! Woo Woo!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

This disc will probably go down as one of my top 10 discs of all time.

It was certainly one of the best hard rock discs in the late 80's.

'87 was such a great year for music.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

This album is also one of my favorites. Still of the Night still gets me going. I couldn't place what "Straight for the Heart" sounded like, but the late 70's reference was right on.

I saw them a few times in concert and they always entertained and rocked the house.

9:34 AM  
Blogger captain corky said...

I think everybody in my high school owned this album. It was mandatory.

9:43 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

The first time I heard of them was in 9th grade ('81?), Come and Get It - I thought they were Bad Company. :)

I liked this one even though everyone else did too. But I haven't come to terms with Here We Go Again yet. My favs are Still of the Night, Give Me All Your Love, and Cryin in the Rain.

good review.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

I've got spring fever and March Metal Madness might just be the cure! Thank the God of Rock for Metal Mark!

I love David Coverdale, and to my husband's chagrin I still love Whitesnake!

10:21 AM  
Blogger BeckEye said...

I loved that Whitesnake album. It's still around somewhere...

2:47 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Great album, although I agree it trails off aa bit weakly.

-- david

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home