Sunday, November 11, 2007

Znowhite-All hail to thee/Kick ‘em when they’re down/Live suicide

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Znowhite-All hail to thee/Kick ‘em when they’re down/Live suicide
Metal Mind
2007


The good people at Metal Mind have outdone themselves this time. We get Znowhite’s second lp plus a studio ep and a live ep all on one disc. That’s 18 songs plus a thick booklet. Znowhite were a Chicago based, female fronted band that played a rather basic, but energetic early style of speed metal. The faster songs remind me a lot of Exciter while the mid-paced tracks sound more like maybe Accept to some extent. The vocals took me a little time to get used to, but by about the fourth track I was enjoying them. Znowhite had a reputation for being rather consistent, but they never became much bigger popularity wise than they were around say 1985-86. Despite the fact that they played for several years past that. I think this might be due to the fact that they played a style that became somewhat obsolete after “Reign in blood” and “Master of puppets” changed the genre forever. Yet this material holds up fairly well to my ears and I found myself listening to it several times the first few days I owned it. They may not have been as aggressive as some of their peers, but they played a rather bare-bones, likeable style of speed metal. They easily managed to create songs that were memorable and didn’t overstay their welcome. This disc is certainly worth checking out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home