Monday, February 04, 2008

Interview with Bob Mitchell of Attacker

Photobucket

New Jersey's Attacker formed in 1983 and released their debut "Battle at Helm's Deep" in 1985. They are still going today releasing albums and playing a few shows. I recently interviewed vocalist Bob Mitchell to see what the band is up to.

MM-What are you currently working on?

Bob Mitchell: Hi Mark and hello to your readers. It’s a pleasure to be here. Well let’s see, currently ATTACKER are rehearsing for our upcoming show this April at the KEEP IT TRUE FESTIVAL in Germany. We’re giving our fans a special show this year. We will be performing the “Battle” album in its entirety and we’re very excited about it.

We’re also working on new material for the next album. As a matter of fact, we are recording a brand new song. The song is called “Condemned”. Our new song will be issued as a commemorative CD single to our fans at the “Keep It True Festival”. We may leave “Condemned” as such, meaning, I don’t believe it will be on our next full-length album. We’re only pressing 100 copies so it will truly become a collector’s item. This new song will be giving fans an opportunity of knowing what’s to come from us. I’m not sure when the new album will come out, but no worries, we’ll keep you posted.

MM-What newer metal bands do you like?

BM: Hmmm… Not toO many to be honest with you. I really don’t wish to speak ill of anyone. However, the bands I do like are not necessarily new but they have great new albums out. STEEL ASSASIN, SACRED OATH, BEYOND FALLEN, SEVEN WITCHES and FAITH FACTOR immediately come to mind.

MM-How do you think the metal scene is different now as opposed to say twenty years ago?

BM: I’m not sure that there is a comparison. I will say this. Here in America, unfortunately, heavy metal is a novelty. It is not embraced here as a respected art form as it is in Europe. I do have a strong opinion about the state of our business today, particularly here in America, but I don’t feel as though this would be an appropriate forum in which I would want to express it. I have a tremendous respect for the business and our profession, but there are many aspects that upset me greatly. Let’s just leave it at that.

MM-What do you wish that you had done differently in your music career?

BM: I wouldn’t change a thing Mark. All that I have accomplished with ATTACKER are moments in time I could never forget. Plus what’s done is done and there’s still more to come. We achieved so many of our goals, thus far, and we did it without the aid of a manager, agent what have you. People have often asked me why I never got any of those and I simply tell them that a lot of the bands that did are far worse off now than when they started. To be more specific as to why we have no need for such things is this; from 2003 to this point and beyond, we’ve released three full-length albums, that’s also including our new “best of” album. We’ve been to Europe on four occasions, we played not only in Germany but we’ve played in Holland, Italy, Greece and The Netherlands. Plus we’ve played here in America. Now we’re going back to Germany, working on the next album and our DVD. So I ask you, would you change a thing?

MM-What do you hope to accomplish in 2008?
BM: We hope to finish our album and DVD. I think we’ll have both out for 2009 if all goes well.

MM-I know some European festival dates set up for 2008, but do you have U.S. tour plans in place yet?

BM: I must make it clear that we’re not a touring band. However, we do have shows confirmed for ATTACKER here in America this summer. We’ll be playing the Brooklyn Metal Fest on June 21st and the TMT Festival in Tioga Center, New York on July 19th.

MM-How are the audiences in Europe different than here in the States?

BM: European fans are just insane. They truly have a love for Heavy Metal over there, not that it is not loved here, it’s really hard to describe unless you experience it yourself. I must say that our fans have been great to us everywhere we’ve been to, but Europe has the edge as far as passion is concerned. Plus they are loyal to the end in contrast to America, out of sight, out of mind.

Photobucket

MM-What are some of the most memorable shows that you have played?

BM: So far, without question it would have to be the Keep It True show from April 2004. I remember arriving in Germany for the first time not knowing what to expect. ATTACKER was dormant for the better part of 10 years. Maybe more. When we arrived to the warm-up show the night before our performance, the fans blew me away in attendance. They all remembered who we were. I was impressed by their loyalty to us as well. There were some great bands playing that night and I recall what an awesome time was had by everyone there. We instantly made a lot of friends that night and throughout the entire weekend for that matter. Those friendships endure to this day.

So now it’s the day of our show and, again, I really didn’t know what to expect. I knew we would probably do well, but the reception we received was mind boggling to say the least. Every fan sang every word to every song, quite loudly I might add. The roar of the crowd was deafening and every fist was held high. The high point was when the fans chanted our name throughout almost the entire set. On this day we have established ourselves once and for all. It was a very humbling experience for us.

MM-Has your approach to songwriting changed any over the years?

BM: No not all. We’ve gone in a heavier direction, somewhat, but the formula that brought us our success, initially, is still there.

MM-If someone could only buy one of your albums then which one would you suggest? Why?

BM: I would suggest getting “Standing The Test Of Time” because it contains our very best songs. It contains 16 songs in all, which are four from each of our previous albums. If they like what they hear, then I would strongly suggest getting the rest of our albums.

MM-Choose the band from the following pairs that you prefer and tell why.

Accept or Scorpions:
BM: Accept are one of the biggest influences in all of Heavy Metal and I’ve been compared to Udo and I take that as a great compliment.

Anthrax or Overkill:
BM:I like both bands equally. There is no comparison.

Dio or Ozzy :
BM: Definitely Dio. By and large one of the absolute greatest. I have the “Heaven and Hell” DVD and he is still amazing to watch. I’ve seen him live on many occasions and he never, ever fails to deliver.

Iron Maiden or Judas Priest:
BM: These two bands influenced ATTACKER, stylistically. I saw them both for the first time back in 1981 during Priest’s “Point OF Entry” tour and Maiden was in America for the first time promoting “Killers”. Yes I saw them (Maiden) with Paul (Di’Anno). It was a great show and I’m still a huge fan of both. Like I said about Anthrax and Overkill, no comparison.

MM-What has this band not yet done that you still hope to accomplish?

BM: Eventually, we’d love to perform in Russia, Poland, Japan, Spain and Brazil. I’m sure, in time, like everything in our history, it will happen. A definite dream come true for us would be to open for MANOWAR someday. Then maybe, God willing, earn that gold record. Perhaps I’m reaching on that one, but hey, it doesn’t hurt to dream. Other than that, like I already said, we’re hard at work on our next album and DVD, so it’s a matter of taking it day by day.

MM-What advice would you give to a young band just starting out?

BM: I’m not sure if anyone will take much heed to this but, please, do this because you love it. If there are any aspirations of making a living off of music, I must tell you from personal experience, very few of us make a living from this profession. It is best to stay in school and keep music as your passion. If you have the talent and the desire to succeed you will accomplish both. Away from music, I work in the healthcare industry and I’m also in college earning my associates degree. So, essentially, it has all paid off for me. I have the blessing of taking care of my patients and entertaining our fans. Don’t be distracted by the almighty dollar. That is a weakness. The richest people alive are the ones that give to others without compromise. Give of yourself and success will come to you.

MM-Is there anything else that you want to say about your band or your music?

BM: I could never talk about my band. Except for the fact that I am proud of all of our accomplishments. Through the years, our fans have decided where we belong and they’ve placed us there. So on the bands behalf, thank you and thanks also to you Mark for the opportunity of this interview. It was fun and as always I enjoy doing them. God bless and love to all.

http://www.myspace.com/attackerband

Thanks to Bob for doing the interview.

2 Comments:

Blogger DPTH International said...

Great interview Mark. I just picked up Attackers first 2 albums "Battle at Helms Deep" and "Second Coming" as re-issues from Power Play records (thanks to you for that gem of a site as well!)

I have yet to find more of their work, but hopefully I can atleast grab their best of Compilation.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeahh, realy a great interview. Love this band. My fave will be always SECONS COMING but the rest are good too.
US METAL FOREVER.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home