Sunday, August 03, 2008

Defiance-Product of society

Photobucket
Metal Mind
1989/2008



Metallica and Exodus were the first bands to emerge from what would soon be known as the Bay Area scene. Thrash was still being defined and bands were trickling out between say 83-85, then 1986 saw a rise in popularity for this high energy style of metal. By 1987-1988 bands were popping out of everywhere and the San Francisco-Oakland area had more than their share of acts hoping to be the next Metallica. One of those many bands was Defiance whose debut originally came out in 1989 on Roadrunner records. I actually had not heard this album in at least 18 years and it didn't make a huge impression on me back then. However hearing it now I realize two things about it and they are that these guys sounded a whole lot like early Testament and that this album is better than I gave it credit for in 1989. They have much of the tight chugging early Metallica/Exodus type riffs that defined many of the bands from that scene. However like Testament they alternated heavy bits with guitar parts that would break up the one dimensional approach and then go back and forth. The production is slightly stripped down and I think that helps here because I think the raw sound normally worked well with thrash. The guitar duo of Doug Harrington and Jim Adams was a very solid pair and perhaps this band's strongest feature. They weave their way back and forth with plenty of quick cuts and driving heaviness and they show slightly more technical skill than a number of players of the time. I wasn't as impressed by the vocals of Ken Elkington which were adequate, but not all that memorable. This re-issue has eight bonus tracks including several demo versions and a few live tracks. Defiance's Product of society is an album that I'm afraid that underrated a little bit when I first heard it back in 1989. I am certainly glad that Metal Mind have put it out again so I can appreciate it now.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home