Wednesday, October 01, 2008

First day flashback number one

Photobucket
Lizzy Borden-Love you to pieces

This 1985 release was the band's first LP and the follow-up to their 1984 EP "Give 'em the axe". As good as "Give 'em the axe' was they definitely grew a great deal on this album. The music was more complex and layered plus Lizzy's vocals got more of a workout as a well. Along with band's like WASP and Detroit's Halloween, Lizzy Borden were one of those bands who had a glam image but the sound was more metal than glam. The distinctive vocals, horror type lyrics and the whole image help set these guys apart. On top of that they could really play and just rip it up plus they knew how to mix heavy with melodic. I think around 86-87 hard rock and metal changed some and being metal began to change as thrash became more popular. Also being hard rock or glam suddenly became more focused on ballads and trying to score a radio hit. The bands that were in between those styles like Lizzy and WASP got kind of lost, ignored or they forced to change their approach. Kind of sad because between 1984 and 1986 this band was really putting out some prime material. However they may have the last laugh to some extent as their material still holds well today and they knocked out a killer album last year.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

I love this album. Menace to Society is really good but production is certanly lacking.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Magpie said...

This was the first Lizzy Borden album I ever bought. Visual Lies is probably their best, but I'll always have a soft spot for Love You To Pieces.

Great blog by the way. I added you to my blogroll.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I agree all around and I too love this album, hard to say if I love this more than Menace to Society, but's I think I do and it's a classic...I was spinning this quite hard last week, and Appointment With Death made my year end Top 10 last year...Lizzy rules!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Sean-The production is kind of typical of the time I think.

Magpie-Welcome!

Ray-Lizzy Borden has never quite gotten the respect he deserves.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home