Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Orpheus-s/t

Photobucket
Self-produced
2009

Norway's Orpheus claim their influences include In Flames, Guns 'N Roses and Iron Maiden. I can hear all those bands at various points on their self-titled debut. I would also add in Metallica to that list as I hear their sound stirred in here are certain points as well. There is little doubt that the band have some skills. There are some fine solos and some powerful rhythms. They even manage to find a balance at times between soaring melodies and hard hitting riffs. Vocalist Ingrid Galadriel goes from smooth as silk melodies to piercing shrieks without missing a beat. Her range and consistancy are the band's greatest strengths. She also helps to elevate some average material to being far more intersting than it could have been. Of course I am more into their songs that have the Maiden riffs going just because that appeals to me and I think it's the sound they handled the best here. Although I think they did admirable job of varying the sound and they pulled most of the songs favorbly. There were two aspects of this that I had problems with. First is that the mix on several songs is light in places. Certainly more the production than the playing, but there were definite moments where the sound was too light and it robbed the band of some of the power that should have and could have been present. The other point that they rely on the influences a bit too much. Other than the vocals I don't think they push enough to establish their own sound. Still this is mainly a positive release and I look forward to hearing what they come up with in the future.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home