Monday, July 23, 2012

2012 so far

Here we are more than half a year into 2012. As far as hard rock and metal releases go this year I was impressed early on. The last say three months have not been as quite as productive to my ears as were the first three months. That being said I didn't get around to hearing the new Rush yet because my interest in them now isn't what it once was. Although I have heard mostly good things about it. I am in the middle of collecting my thoughts on the new Baroness album and hope to review that soon. In other years I have looked ahead to see what's coming out soon. To be honest I don't really do that anymore. That's probably partially out of laziness on my part and in part due to not wanting to get caught up in any pre-release hype. Anyways I am spending some time sorting through 2012 releases and thinking about what albums I'll consider for my top 25 albums list that I'll compile at the end of the year. For the year so far I'd say that quite a few of the best releases have come from unexpected sources.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I agree. Some releases that are just unreal have come from bands I never would have expected it-both old and new.

6:55 AM  
Blogger non de guerre said...

I agree about unexpected sources. That the new Ministry album is so good really surprises me, 'cos I didn't think Al Jourgenson had anything left in the tank.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous scott whitt said...

I was SHOCKED at how good the new Trixter was. I cannot believe that I just typed that sentence. Same with Europe. Metal wise, the ones from High On Fire and Cannibal Corpse are tops for me so far. Been a great year, especially since last year was kind of poor.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Andy-Definitely.
Tom-I heard it once and liked it. Should really listen to it again some time.
Scott-Have not heard the new High on fire, but need to. I thought the new Trixter was horrible, but I have never liked them. For veteran hard rocks acts releasing albums this year I like Jeff Scott Soto, Tyketto and Sunstorm with Joe Lynn Turner. For metal I've enjoyed - Angel Witch, Ufomammut, Sigh, Baroness, Black Breath and Tank for starters.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home