Thursday, October 29, 2015

Lady Beast-Lady Beast II

Cobra Cabana Records/Inferno Records
2015

Lady Beast is a female-fronted traditional heavy metal band that is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and influenced by both classic metal bands and the N.W.O.B.H.M. scene. The obviously-titled "Lady Beast II" is the groups sophomore release as well as being the follow-up to 2013's "Lady Beast". That album made my best of list for 2013 and this album would make my best of list for 2015. That is if I make one. As of late I'm not very good at following up on things. Case in point this album! I actually got a promo for "Lady Beast II" way back in April* on this year, but in typical fashion I dropped the ball as far as my coverage of the LP was concerned. Long story short I had started my review and then I was waiting for the official word as to when I could post it. While that was happening I scrapped my initial write-up as I was displeased with it. I'm sure you can guess what happened next. Yep, I forgot all about reviewing it and as spring turned into summer the album was pushed to the back of the pile. Naturally that proved to be a mistake. Especially as this album happens to be a real treat! As always the band is lead by vocalist Deborah Levine (she's awesome!) and on "Lady Beast II" this Pittsburgh five piece mixes together the best parts of classic heavy metal, hard rock and the N.W.O.B.H.M. scene of yesteryear. Even though it's not as cut and dry as this might sound, Lady Beast  could be seen as a female-fronted Iron Maiden whose choice collection of influences ranges from Judas Priest to Doro! The Iron Maiden appreciation does get a little thick at times, but it's hard to fault Deborah Levine and her bandmates as we are talking about one of the greatest bands of all time! With two full-length albums and a crap load of (positively-received) live shows to their name now this is one traditional heavy metal band that deserves a bigger audience. For now Lady Beast will just have to be content with the knowledge that they are keeping the dream that is true heavy metal alive. There's that and then there is the fact that they are offering hope for those of us who easily become cynical thanks to all the shitty modern metal recordings that flood the airwaves! Between those two observations it's an easy decision to recommend Lady Beast's latest release! 

*"Lady Beast II" was released on March 28, 2015 on Cobra Cabana Records and on June 21, 2015 on Inferno Records.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home