Saturday, June 07, 2008

Fates Warning-Perfect Symmetry

Photobucket
Metal Blade
1989/2008 Re-issue

Fates Warning were quick to jump into the studio back in early 1989 shortly after wrapping up the tour for "No Exit" which was quickly establishing the band as one of the leaders of the fairly new form of progressive metal. Progressive metal twenty years ago was perhaps far more basic than a number of bands who play that style today. A year earlier in 1988 "No Exit" had the band changing not only vocalists, but their overall direction to some extent as well. Fates Warning had started out strongly in the Iron Maiden style of metal, yet by "Awaken the guardian" and "No Exit" they were spreading out their sound and their once straight forward approach was being replaced my a more controlled and varied format. For me "No Exit" was a welcome change and "Perfect Symmetry" was even more so because I think this album was even tighter and the band were becoming more comfortable with this style. There are more melodies and even some more subtle sounds here that are as much hard rock as they are metal, but it all works out in the end. This re-issue contains a second CD which has a lot of demo versions of the tracks from the album. The demos are largely are decent, but other than a few die hard fans I doubt most people will be playing them that much at least not when you have the completed product on the same set. The better bonus is the DVD which includes a number of live performances from late 1988 through to 1989. The quality here is decent enough and it gives fans a chance to see how the band handles their increasingly complex material live. The DVD I would probably actually watch from time to time so that helps to make this set worthwhile. It also includes a thick booklet with some detail about the album. Another great re-issue from Metal Blade and I hope they keep coming.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review. 'Perfect Symmetry' actually served as my introduction to Fates Warning, so you might say that I was a late-comer. I didn't know what to make of it at first, but songs like 'At Fate's Hand', 'Static Acts', and 'The Arena' won me over in the end. This album and Watchtower's 'Control And Resistance' were my introduction to the more "difficult" side of progressive metal, as they really challenged me to open my ears and listen outside the box.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Had Mark Zonder (f. Warlord) not been on this I would never have given it a chance. This was the end of Fates Warning for me. I like this album, No Exit is ok and the Arch era cannot be surpassed. They turned into a wussy band.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home