Sunday, January 03, 2010

Top ten hard rock/metal albums of 1990

Kind of a strange year for hard rock and metal. Lots of hard rock/hair band releases coming out, but not a lot of good ones. Thrash was was seeing something of a split with a number of major labels bands becoming more accessible while death metal was continuing to rise as it's own entity. My list for this year has altered greatly over the years several albums have fallen a few places while others have come up in the rankings. Here you go.



10-Celtic Frost-Vanity/Nemisis
A good bounce back after Cold Lake.

9-King Diamond-The eye
This album has actually grown on me over the years.

8-Tigertailz-Bezerk
The only hard rock album to make my top ten list.

7-Judas Priest-Painkiller
People either hate it or love it. I think it was a well need burst of energy for this band.

6-Kreator-Coma of souls
Their last really good album for some time.

5-Prong-Beg to differ
They finally figured out their direction.

4-Artillery-By inheritance
They were good on the previous two outings, but they stretched out for this one.

3-Anthrax-Persistance of time
A slight change in direction helped a lot.

2-Megadeth-Rust in piece

Their best album.


1-Steve Vai-Passion and warfare
Simply amazing effort.

Photobucket

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Metal Misfit said...

I've never heard anyone hating on PAINKILLER. My favorite Priest album.

Passion & Warfare was my first instrumental album and it turned me off to them for a long time (I would later pick up two Buckethead releases thanks to his then-GNR membership). I need vocals!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Just wait you may even read some complaints here if the right people stop by. Some people don't like the speed metal direction. I did and still do. Saw them on that tour and they were unreal.

I don't need vocals if it is done right.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dudes!! Do not you forget a canadian metal masterpiece?
Has Jeff Waters look familiar to you? I suppose so.

Obviously, I'm talking about..."Never, Neverland" of ANNIHILATOR. It was published in 1990.

"The fun palace", "Sixes & sevens", "Never,neverland", "Phantasmagoria", "I am in command"...

It deserves to be on 1990 Metal top ten.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

anonymous-I like Never, Neverland, but not enough for it to make my top ten. If I had extended it to 15then it may have made it.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK! Do you like Hard-Rock?
I'm goin' to make two 1990 Hard Rock suggestions:

STEELHEART (Steelheart)
LYNCH MOB (Wicked Sensation)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

anonymous-The Lynch Mob debut is decent. I liked it more in 1990 than I do now though. Steelheart is kind of hard to take. It has some moments, but it's kind of sickening too.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Painkiller is not the big comeback that Priest fans wanted it to be. Two or three awesome tunes than a lot of going through the motions.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Painkiller is not Screaming or Defenders, but it was a huge improvement over Turbo and Ram it down. Speak for yourself on this one. I bought Ram it down when it came out and loved it. Saw them on the tour and they unreal.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home