Monday, January 30, 2012

Top Ten Albums Of 1992




1992 was the year I finally said goodbye to high school and moved on with my life. It was a year of transition not only for me but for metal as well. Grunge had done its best to try to kill hard rock and heavy metal. It certainly did enough damage to the genres. And yet in the fields of doom, death and grind we ended up with some of the all time best albums. This list is what I was listening to at the time although there have been many other great albums I have discovered over the years from 1992 that I missed the first time around. This list of mine is in no real order.




1)Megadeth-Countdown To Extinction


I was a huge Megadeth album having tasted thrash thanks to their first three albums. This release ended up getting a lot of airplay from me.






2)Neurosis-Souls At Zero


I've stated my love before for this album so there is no need to repeat myself other than to say how classic it is.






3)Eyehategod-In The Name Of Suffering


Very few albums come right out the gate and destroy minds quite like this one did. Almost like the sound of someones soul being put through a meat grinder.






4)Napalm Death-Utopia Banished


Call it grind or death metal either way a great album. Brutal and heavy this one also got a lot of air time on my stereo.






5)Alice In Chains-Dirt


Ok, as much as I loathe what grunge ended up doing to heavy metal I have to admit that I listened to a lot of Nirvana, Alice In Chains and Soundgarden in 1992. And even if this album did get played to death on the radio it is still a landmark release.






6)Holocaust-Hypnosis Of Birds


I first got turned onto Holocaust by way of Metallica. This album came by way of a tape trader and showed off a different side of these NWOBHM forefathers. More progressive rock infused and just different. In 1992 though different was good as I looked to find myself.






7)Kyuss- Blues For The Red Sun
Stoner rock in all of it's bliss. Both Sleep and Kyuss really opened my eyes and ears to real stoner rock. I was never the same.







8) Celtic Frost-Parched With Thirst Am I And Dying


My introduction to this band. Really this is a compilation of album cuts, demo tracks and other misc. tracks from the band.






9)Trouble-Manic Frustration


A doom classic from these white metal warriors. I was really into Trouble for a time there in high school having managed to assemble a nice collection of their albums from a friend.








10)Sleep-Sleep's Holy Mountain


Another stoner rock classic. Let's just say that this was another album that saw a lot of spins back in high school and college and leave it at that.






1 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

I liked that Celtic Frost album too,but didn't include it because it was collection. I just went for straight studio albums on my list.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home