Thursday, March 27, 2008

Voodoo Six-First hit for free

Photobucket
White Knuckle
2008



Voodoo Six claim to be highly influenced by 1970's and early 80's rock and I can hear that to some extent. However I think their sound is more like those older influences as funneled through late 80's-early 90's bands such as Sound garden and Guns and Roses. In Voodoo Six we get a hard rock outfit where not only is every member a talented musician, but they also bring far more life to their songs than most of the hard rock acts of today. I think they manage to bring technical ability plus soul and emotion and let these parts help elevate their music as a whole. It's obvious that they put some work in towards making each song have it's own identity. Okay, they have their influences and they are obvious, but Voodoo Six are at beginning to develop their own ideas as well. They also handle their music with a great deal of confidence and poise as they obviously believe in what they are doing and that fact shines through on this release. This is a band who managed to blend melodies with some rough pounding rhythms that will stick in your head long after the CD stops. The biggest problem I had was they are a little repetitious at times and this seems to come when they try to stretch a song a little past when they should have stopped. Still this one of the more exciting hard rock releases I have heard a while and my hope this that Voodoo Six keep pushing and punching away at a hard rock scene that could certainly use the burst energy and skill that they so obviously possess.

http://www.myspace.com/voodoosix

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I've only heard the three song teaser EP. I agree that they're pretty good players, but they don't put much heart into the songs and the result is kinda flat. They wear that Soundgarden influence on their sleeve and, as much as I like Soundgarden, I don't really need to hear that rehashed by a band that isn't nearly as good.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

bob-Soundgarden is the main influence, but I think the vocals and the slightly less fuzzy sound help them to pull away from that. They also hit more in the hard rock category which is something Soundgarden tried to avoid although it works for Voodoo Six.

11:14 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I'm not saying they sound exactly like Soundgarden, but they don't bring anything significant to the table that makes it worth hearing. It's kind of like Soundgarden, but more generic. So, yeah, they don't sound just like Soundgarden, but that actually makes them worse.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

bob- I think you're missing out, but I tend to like more hard rock than you do.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home