Saturday, June 07, 2008

Rockets to Ruin-Love, drugs, rebellion

Photobucket
Self-produced
2006

This is an older one as it came over a year and a half ago, but I just heard of these guys this year. Then I just recently got my mitts on this CD after hearing several bands from their area talk about how great they were. Rockets to Ruin are from Atlanta, Georgia and my initial impression is that they remind me of LA Guns and Faster Pussycat as they primarily play a style of 80’s sleaze/glam rock. Yet second and third plays had me contemplating that this band was doing even more than that. The sound is nothing new per se as we got simple rhythms, fairly gritty vocals and the lyrics are certainly nothing new. What’s different here is that they don’t launch into 1-2-3 approach on every song. We get songs where the pace slows and the vocals change up and it almost feels more like a live show. Now that’s not to say that everything works, but their approach was unique enough that it caught my attention right away. They took some gambles and used a typical format but then shuffled the music into different approaches here and there. Like I said not every song was captivating, but right away this showed their confidence in what they were doing and already they are beyond the bulk of bands who are churning out 80’s style glam these days. I know that this band has been playing live regularly and I have hopes that they continue in this fashion and I think they are really onto something here.


http://www.myspace.com/rocketstoruin

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home