Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Stick it out-s/t

Photobucket
Self-produced
2008

Stick it out hail from Rome, Italy and play a fairly solid style of hard rock with a number of early 1990's influences. The opener "Marry the swine" rips on and maintains a solid groove throughout with the vocals reminding me some of Ian Astbury. The next two tracks "Dog's Friday Nite" and "Sgt. Lizzie" vary in pace, but are almost as good and I took to them immediately. Track four is a little as it's a cover of Faster Pussycat's "Jack the Bastard. I say odd because I have always considered it a lesser song from an album that's certainly not Faster Pussycat's best effort. Stick it out do a decent job with this version as they tighten it up and pick up the tempo a little. I don't know if it was doing a cover at this point or what, but the momentum they had for the first three tracks never quite returns on the remainder of the album. Most of the rest of the material is quite decent and varied enough. Yet a few songs are a little too routine and make me think I heard this style in the early 90's and wasn't particularly impressed with it back then. I wish they could have carried over more of that groove from the first few tracks. Still the vocals are exceptionally strong, the music does enough to be interesting for the majority of the album and the production values are high. They are a young band and they have obviously laid some ground work down and begun to establish their style. I hope they take a good look at what really worked here and make that their focus for the future.

http://www.myspace.com/stickitout

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home