Friday, March 09, 2012

Evile-Five Serpent's Teeth


Earache
2011


While wandering aimlessly around my local Marc's looking for blank CDs I came across this album in a clearance bin. How it could be in a clearance bin when it has only been out a little over six months I do not know. It did not exactly bode well for the album. That said at only $3.99 I took a chance on Evile's third album and headed for my car to see what all the fuss was about. While I never did find those blank CDs at Marc's I did walk away with a pleasant little surprise from this English thrash act. At first I was thinking to myself "why didn't anyone tell me the Big Four recorded an album together?" as this is so drenched in Bay Area love it is almost frightening. "Five Serpent's Teeth" was produced by our friend Russ Russell (Napalm Death, The Exploited, Dimmu Borgir and many more) at Parlour Studios in Kettering, England. It is the first album released after the band lost original bassist Mike Alexander. Mike Alexander (who tragically died from a blood clot while on tour for "Infected Nations") is replaced by former Rise to Addiction bassist Joel Graham. Now since the band members did get their start playing Metallica covers the influence of James Hetfield and company is rather obvious. "Master Of Puppet" seems to be the cut off point as far as Evile goes so Metallica's first three albums act as a blue print for these English lads. Along with Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus, Testament and specifically Slayer that is what Evile aims for as far direction. And you know what? I enjoy that about them. They seem to know who they are and what they want and they certainly do it with a high level of skill. The band is well versed in thrash metal 101 and even if this isn't very original it is at least fun. It was certainly worth the $3.99 I paid for it! By the way I added a link below with Metal Mark's review of one of their other albums.































http://metalmark.blogspot.com/search?q=Evile-Enter+the+grave+

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home