Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Battle of the bands

Back in 2006 (I think) I ran a monthly feature called Battle of the bands. I would just toss two bands out and ask which you liked better. I decided to revive the idea and do it this year as a monthly segment. Only I'll try to offer up a little on each band and then you can chime in for which band you prefer. This month it is....



Photobucket

Budgie

Vs.


Photobucket

Pentagram


Budgie hail from Wales and started churning out their brand of heavy progressive, quirky music four decades ago. They lasted until the early 80's before breaking up. Then towards the end of that decade Metallica covered two of their songs and a new generation of fans were introduced to them. They reformed a while back and continue to tour. The band has gone through some line-up changes and several sound changes over the years.

Pentagram hail from Virginia and also started out in the early 1970's, but only released a few singles in the 70's. They broke up and reformed in the 1980's (notice a trend beginning) then started releasing albums. They went through more periods of break-ups and reforming with a lot of different members. They very much influenced the doom movement. A lot of their older songs from the 70's have been released on recent collections and they have re-corded a number of them over the years.

***So which band do you prefer? Feel free to add why you chose that band if you like.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Mule said...

Love them both, but I have to give Budgie the win for their string of albums up to and including Impeckable.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pentagram.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

This would bea close one for me. I love Pentagram, but Budgie have a more layered sound that I prefer. So, yeah it's Budgie for me.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Mighty High said...

Oh! Tough one, but I'm going with Pentagram.

More battle of the bands!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Woody-I may be able to do these bi-monthly instead of just monthly.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home